Head Coach Wes Kittley, Assistant James Thomas honored by USTFCCCA
Junior high jumper honored by conference after breaking school record with Top-10 World Mark
No. 9 Red Raiders, No. 25 Lady Raiders shine in final tune up for Big 12s
Rialto, Calif. native scores 3,297 points in opening day of Mt. SAC Heptathlon
Texas Tech breaks three school records at Texas Relays
T&F: Big 12 Outdoors Preview
Cierra White breaks school record in 100M
Wes Kittley previews Texas Tech's Thursday's final home meet of the season
Combined Events | Jumps
When the Texas Tech men took home the 2014 Big 12 Outdoor Championship in front of the home crowd at the Terry & Linda Fuller Track & Field Complex, Coach Thomas' athletes contributed 80.5 points--just over half of the program-record 160.5 points--to the championship performance. Tech became the first Big 12 team to win a conference title at home since Colorado, in 2008. Coach Thomas' athletes delivered the first-ever Tech 1-2 sweep in the Big 12 men's long jump, and the first 1-2-3 sweep in the men's high jump in the history of the Big 12 Outdoor Championships, to help push the Red Raiders over the top.
- 19 All-Americans
- 51 NCAA Qualifiers
- 30 school record holders
- 12 individual conference champions
- 2014 Indoor USTFCCCA Mountain Region Assistant Coach of the Year
- 2014 Outdoor USTFCCCA Mountain Region Assistant Coach of the Year
- First Texas Tech 1-2 sweep (Shuuja Benson, 25-8.75, and Jerome Wilson, 25-8.00) in the Big 12 long jump in school history (Big 12 first since 2003)
- 6 female long jumpers over 19ft in the long jump (2 over 20ft)
- 3 female triple jumpers over 40ft barrier (2 over 42ft)
- At Kentucky, in 2011, sent three athletes to the NCAA championships in the men's triple jump, and was one of only two schools nationally to have three jumpers over 50 feet in the triple jump.
- Coached 2008 SEC Freshman Field Athlete of the Year Derrick Locke, who was also an All-SEC performer, NCAA Indoor All-American and broke the outdoor school record in the long jump
- During his tenure at TCU, Thomas coached 3 conference champions, including Jonathan Jackson, who was a four-time All-MWC performer, 2006 All-Midwest Region honoree, MWC champion, and TCU record holder in the triple jump (53'0"/16.16m)
- Thomas' jumpers contributed 34 team points at the 2006 MWC Championships.
- In 2014, two of Thomas' jumpers (JaCorian Duffield & Bradley Adkins) finished in the top five at the NCAA Indoor Championships. They were the first Red Raider pair to accomplish that feat, and the first nationally to do so since 1999.
- Coached the first 1-2-3 sweep by a school in the high jump in the history of the Big 12 Outdoor Championships.
- Duffield broke Tech's 30-year-old outdoor high jump record with a leap of 7'5.25" (2.27m)
- Duffield & Adkins each broke Tech's 30-year-old indoor high jump record, clearing 7'3.75 (2.23m)
- Duffield also took sixth in the high jump at the USATF Championships, earning him a spot on Team USA at the 2014 U-23 NACAC Championships, in Kamloops, B.C.
- While at Kentucky, coached Grant Lindsey, who became the 2008 SEC Champion in the high jump, and was the runner-up in the event at the 2008 NCAA Outdoor Championships, clearing 7'5". Lindsey was also a finalist in the event at the 2008 Olympic Trials.
- Also coached Terri-Ann Grant at Kentucky, who turned in an All-American performance at the NCAA Indoor Championships, clearing 5'11 ½''.
- Overall at Kentucky, Thomas coached five NCAA qualifiers in the pole vault and four different individual school record holders in the pole vault.
- Thomas' female vaulters at Kentucky held the top five spots on both the indoor and outdoor all-time top-10 lists.
- Under Thomas' supervision, 2014 All-American Shanice Stewart put together the No. 2 performance in school history in the outdoor heptathlon (5674). She also earned the silver medal in the heptathlon at the Big 12 Outdoor Championships.
- While at Kentucky, Thomas coached Ashley Trimble (2009 SEC Pentathlon Champion and two-time NCAA All-American), and Precious Nwokey (2011 SEC Pentathlon Champion and four-time NCAA All-American)
- Coached Danielle Sampley, who became the UK Freshman record-holder in the pentathlon, and led her to membership on the 2008 USA World Junior Team (Heptathlon)
- At Sam Houston State, Thomas coached both Randy Flach (indoor heptathlon provisional qualifier), and Signe Vest (pentathlon & heptathlon school record holder)
- Masters of Science in Health & Human Performance (Athletic Administration) from Texas A&M University- Commerce
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology from Sam Houston State University
- Graduated from Mayde Creek High School, Houston, TX
- USTFCCCA Jumping Event Specialist
- USATF Level II Certification- Jumps
- USATF Level II Certification- Sprints
- USA Track & Field Level I certification