Feb. 15, 2014
Box Score |
Post-Game Notes (GAME 1)
- Improved to 1-1 this season.
- Improves all-time record to 1,502-1,198-8 (65th season).
- Improves all-time home record to 976-466-5.
- Won its first game against a top-five ranked opponent since April 16, 2011 (at No. 4 Texas).
- Won its first game against a top-five ranked opponent at home since April 8, 2011 (vs. No. 5 Texas A&M).
- Won its first game against a top-three ranked opponent since May 27, 2010 (vs. No. 1 Texas - Oklahoma City at Big 12 Championship).
- Won its first game against a top-three ranked opponent at home since March 30, 2008 (vs. No. 2 Missouri).
- Won its 46th game (46-46) against a nationally-ranked opponent at home since 2001.
- Improved to 9-12 against top-10 ranked teams at home since 2005.
- Improved to 5-8 against top-five ranked opponents at home since 2004.
- Scored five runs in the first inning for the first time since March 14, 2012 (vs. Alabama A&M).
- Three players made their first career starts, including freshman Stephen Smith (CF), freshman Anthony Lyons (DH) and junior Hunter Redman (C).
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH TIM TADLOCK (2nd Season)
- 27-31 overall
- 20-11 at home
- 18-16 vs. non-conference opponents
- 15-4 at home (vs. non-conference)
- 6-10 against ranked opponents
- 1-1 against teams ranked 2-10 nationally
- 13-14 in day games
- 6-16 vs. left-handed starting pitchers
- 15-11 in 5-run games
- 19-8 when scoring first
- 24-5 when leading after six innings
- 25-3 when leading after seven innings
- 24-1 when leading after eight innings
- 6-5 in February
- 1-1 against Indiana
INDIANA ALL-TIME SERIES
- Texas Tech is now 1-1 all-time against Indiana... this weekend marks the first-ever meetings between Tech and Indiana... the Hoosiers mark the seventh opponent from the Big Ten Conference to play the Red Raiders... Tech is now 34-34 all-time against Big Ten opponents... 52 of those meetings have come against Nebraska - who was an original member of the Big 12 Conference (1997-2011).
RHP MATT WITHROW (W, 5.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO - 69 PITCHES)
- Marked sixth career win during 13th career start.
- Improved career home record to 5-0 (8 starts).
- Marked eighth time during career allowing one or fewer earned runs.
- Five strikeouts are tied for his second most in a game during his career... career-high eight strikeouts vs. La Salle (3/3/13).
RHP DALTON BROWN (2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO)
- Recorded fourth career scoreless relief outing.
- Notched second career appearance pitching multiple innings without allowing a run (Dallas Baptist - 5/7/13).
RHP RYAN MOSELEY (2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO)
- Made career debut.
- Became the first Red Raider pitcher to make his career debut this season.
2B BRYANT BURLESON (3-FOR-4, R, 2 2B, RBI, HBP)
- Extended career-best hit streak to 16 games with three hits in the game... longest hit streak by a Red Raider since 2010 (Scott LeJeune - 17 games).
- Entered season with a 14-game hit streak... marked longest hit streak by a Red Raider to end a season since 2001 (Tony Arnerich, 17 games).
- Posted 95th career base hit - leads all active Red Raiders.
- Hit two doubles in a game for the third time during his career.
- Marked the fourth time during his career with three hits.
- Tallied 25th career multi-hit game.
1B ERIC GUTIERREZ (1-FOR-3, 3 R, 3 BB)
- Made 58th consecutive start... longest streak among active players.
- Matched a career-high three runs scored (2nd time during career).
- Matched a career-high three walks (4th time during career).
- Received second career intentional walk.
RF ADAM KIRSCH (1-FOR-2, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB)
- Hit first career home run - two-run shot over the left-field wall - in the fifth inning on a 3-1 pitch.
- First career multiple RBI game.
LF TYLER NESLONY (1-FOR-4, R, HR, 4 RBI)
- Hit a grand slam in the first inning for first career home run.
- Became the first Red Raider to hit a grand slam since Tim Proudfoot against Kansas last season.
- Became the first Red Raider to hit a grand slam for first career home run since Tim Proudfoot on March 14, 2012 against Alabama A&M during a 25-5 victory.
- Career-high four RBI.
SS TIM PROUDFOOT (2-FOR-4, RBI, SAC FLY)
- Made 108th career start - most career starts among active players.
- Notched 91st and 92nd career base hits during 109th career game played.
- Recorded 16th career multi-hit game.
DH ANTHONY LYONS (3-FOR-4, R, RBI, BB)
- Made first career start.
- Became the first Red Raider freshman since David Paiz (2011 Opening Day) with three hits during first career start.
- Recorded first career multi-hit game and three-hit game.
C HUNTER REDMAN (1-FOR-5)
- Made first career start.
- Tallied first career hit with a single through the left side in the fifth inning.