Feb. 18, 2011
Box Score |
Texas Tech Notes
- Improves to 39-23 all-time on Opening Day, which includes a 12-1 record since 1999.
- Improves to 26-5 all-time on Opening Day at Dan Law Field, including 12 consecutive wins dating back to 1997 (1-10, vs. TCU).
- Is now 18-1 on Opening Day at home since 1986.
- Shutout marked the first on Opening Day since a 21-0 victory over Howard on Jan. 26, 2001, at Dan Law Field
- Combined two-hitter is the first two-hit shutout since a 16-0 victory over Eastern New Mexico on February 20, 2006, when Dustin Richardson (6.0 IP, 10 K), Jason Seefeld (2.0 IP, 1 K) and Brian Cloud (1.0, 2 H, 0 K) combined for the two-hitter.
- Scored three runs in the first inning for the third consecutive year on Opening Day... Tech also tallied three runs on Opening Day in 2009 against Southern Utah (W, 14-3) and in 2010 against Jacksonville State (8-3).
OPENING DAY ATTENDANCE - MOST SINCE 2003
- Paid attendance of 2,398 is the largest Opening Day crowd for Texas Tech since Jan. 31, 2003, when Texas Tech defeated New Mexico (4-2) in front of 3,018 fans at Dan Law Field.
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Dan Spencer (3rd Season)
- 54-61 overall
- 3-0 on Opening Day
- 36-18 at home
- 21-6 at home (vs. non-conference)
- 36-36 against non-ranked opponents
- 17-24 in night games
- 12-17 vs. left-handed starters
- 20-26 in 5+ run games
- 3-3 in shutouts
- 28-24 when scoring first
- 47-5 when leading after six innings
- 49-2 when leading after seven innings
- 51-1 when leading after eight innings
- 12-5 in February
- 1-0 against Western Michigan
WESTERN MICHIGAN SERIES
- Opening Day marked the first-ever meeting between Texas Tech and Western Michigan... Tech improves to 22-2 all-time against Mid-American Conference opponents.
Barrett Barnes (OF)
- Went 2-for-3 with a home run and three RBI in his sophomore season debut.
- Hit the first home run of the season for Texas Tech for the second year in a row.
- Is now 5-for-7 with four runs, three home runs and eight RBI in career Opening Day games.
- Extended hit streak to six consecutive games - dating back to last season.
Kelby Tomlinson (SS)
- Made Tech career debut with three walks, an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base.
David Paiz (RF)
- Made career debut going 3-for-4 with one run and two RBI with one walk and a double... last season Barrett Barnes became the first Tech freshman with three hits on Opening Day in over 10 years.
Daniel Coulombe (LHP)
- Made Red Raider debut pitching 3.2 of no-hit baseball to start the game.
- Finished with a no-decision after pitching 4.0 innings with five strikeouts and allowed only one base hit and issued two walks.
- Becomes the first Tech newcomer to start on Opening Day since Josh Tomlin in 2006 when Tech defeated Louisiana-Monroe 21-5 at Dan Law Field.
John Neely (RHP)
- Combined with Coulombe and reliever Brennan Stewart for a two-hitter... Finished the game pitching 4.0 innings while allowing one hit with four strikeouts.
- Retired the first 10 batters he faced, which included four consecutive groundouts, four consecutive strikeouts and a pair of groundouts.
- Became the first Red Raider pitcher to strikeout four consecutive batters since Bobby Doran struck out five in a row against Missouri (5/1/10).