Feb. 19, 2010
Final Stats |
- Texas Tech head football coach Tommy Tuberville threw the ceremonial first pitch tonight after signing autographs for two hours prior to the game.
- Texas Tech improved to 38-23 all-time on Opening Day and 25-5 when opening the season at home. Tech has won its season opener for the second consecutive year after dropping the opener back in 2008.
- Today's attendance of 2,243 is the largest crowd for a home season opener since the 2003 season when 3,018 fans showed up to watch the Red Raiders play New Mexico.
- Freshman right fielder Barrett Barnes enjoyed the most successful debut by a true freshman since Roger Kieschnick back in 2006. Barnes totaled three hits tonight including two home runs while driving in a game-high six RBIs. In that game back in 2006, Kieschnick (who was later named the Big 12 Freshman of the Year that season) went 2-for-4 with a grand slam and six RBIs.
- Junior right-hander Chad Bettis has now picked up two consecutive wins dating back to last season's Big 12 Conference Tournament in Oklahoma City. He logged three innings of relief work against Missouri in that game to earn the win.
- Texas Tech and Jacksonville State met on the diamond for the first time this evening and the Red Raiders now hold a 1-0 lead in the series. The game also marked the first time that Tech had faced an opponent from the state of Alabama.