Feb. 28, 2014
- Improved to 8-1 this season while winning its road-opener.
- Started its season 8-1 for the fifth time since 2000.
- Won its first road/neutral site non-conference opener since 2007.
- Won its first road game of the season for the first time since 2012 (at No. 10 Arizona State).
- Is now 29-36 all-time in road/neutral site openers.
- Improved its winning streak to eight games, marking program's longest since 2002 (16 straight wins).
- Improves all-time record to 1,509-1,198-8 (65th season).
- Improves all-time road record to 420-646-3.
- Won for the first time when trailing after eight innings since 2011 (at Dallas Baptist - Mar. 22).
- Won for the 11th time in come-from-behind fashion under second-year head coach Tim Tadlock.
- Pitching staff has a 1.56 ERA (81.0 IP/14 ER) during eight games this season.
- Improved to 6-0 this season against right-handed starting pitchers.
- Pitching staff has thrown 81 innings this season - 68 innings have been scoreless.
- For the first time this season Tech's opponent scored in more than two innings... SFA scored in three innings today.
- Hit at least one double for the ninth consecutive game - longest streak by the Red Raiders since 2012 (12 consecutive games).
- Has allowed five or fewer runs in all nine games this season... Longest streak by the Tech pitchers since 2012 (10 straight games - Feb. 17-Mar. 2).
- Bullpen: 1.25 ERA, 5-0 record, 4 saves... OPPONENTS BULLPEN: 3.97 ERA, 0-1 record, 1 save.
- Currently has eight wins during the month of February... Only once (2012) has Tech won eight games in February since Opening Day was pushed back to the middle of February in 2008.
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 34-31 overall
- 7-16 on the road
- 25-16 vs. non-conference opponents
- 3-8 on the road (vs. non-conference)
- 26-21 unranked opponents
- 20-14 in day games
- 27-15 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 5-11 in 1-run games
- 9-23 when opponent scores first
- 2-4 when tied after six innings
- 2-4 when tied after seven innings
- 1-21 when trailing after eight innings
- 13-5 in February
- 1-0 against Stephen F. Austin
- 469-158 overall record in 11 years as a junior college and NCAA D-I head coach (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN ALL-TIME SERIES
- Texas Tech leads Stephen F. Austin 2-1 in the all-time series that dates back to 2007... today's game marked the first-ever meeting in the series in Nacogdoches... all three of the all-time meetings have been one-run games... Tech is 1-1 in the series in Lubbock and 1-0 in Nacogdoches.
RHP Johnathon Tripp (ND, 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO - 47 Pitches)
- Made first start of the season (4th career - 3rd career start on the road).
- Left the game with the score tied, 2-2 after top of third inning.
- Second shortest start of the season by a Red Raider starting pitcher (1.0 - Ty Damron, vs. Indiana - Feb. 16).
RHP Justin Bethard (3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO)
- Made season debut.
- Marked fifth career relief outings throwing at least three innings.
RHP Nick Pettus (2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO)
- Made career debut.
- Became the 14th Red Raider pitcher to make an appearance this season.
RHP Corey Taylor (0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO)
- Recorded second scoreless outing this season (6th career).
LHP Ty Damron (W, 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO)
- Earned first career win.
- Struck out the only batter faced (swinging) after having count go to 3-1.
- Is 1-of-2 freshmen and 1-of-4 newcomers with a win this season for the Red Raiders.
LHP Jonny Drozd (S, 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO)
- Collected second save of the season (3rd career).
- Became the first Red Raider with eight consecutive scoreless outings since 2006 when former Red Raider and current Padres LHP Colt Hynes had nine.
- Marked fifth scoreless outing of the season (13th career).
- Has thrown 26.2 consecutive scoreless innings dating back to 2013 season.
- Has made 10 career relief outings with 24.0 innings pitched with a perfect 0.00 ERA.
- Had streak snapped of 10 consecutive innings pitched without allowing a walk.
2B Bryant Burleson (1-FOR-2, R, BB)
- Made 100th career start (83rd career start at third base).
- Single through the left side in the ninth inning marked 99th career base hit.
- Matched a career-high with two hit-by-pitch (3rd time during career).
1B Eric Gutierrez (2-FOR-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI)
- Won the game with a two-run RBI double in the ninth inning with two outs to score game-tying and game-winning runs giving Tech a 5-4 victory.
- Made 65th consecutive start on Thursday... longest streak among active players.
- Has hit safely in 8-of-9 games this season.
- Has at least one RBI in three consecutive games.
- Posted the game-winning RBI for the third straight game (4th career).
- Marked fourth career game-winning RBI.
- Recorded third multi-hit game this season (15th career).
- Tallied first multiple RBI game of the season (8th career).
RF Adam Kirsch (2-FOR-4, 2B)
- Extended hit streak to eight games with a bunt base hit in the sixth and a double to center field in the eighth.
- Eight-game hit streak is the longest by a Red Raider newcomer since 2011 (Kelby Tomlinson - 10 games).
- Posted third multi-hit game of the season.
- Hit his fifth double of the season - tied for the team lead (Burleson).
LF Anthony Lyons (1-FOR-2, 2 BB)
- Season-high two walks.
- Has a .409 on-base percentage this season.
PR/LF Zach Davis (1-FOR-1, R, SB)
- Entered as a pinch runner for Anthony Davis in the 7th inning.
- Posted third stolen base of the season - leads all Red Raiders.
- Also tallied a base hit - has played in nine games but has just three at-bats... is batting .667 (2-for-3) on the season.
C Mason Randolph (1-FOR-1, R, HR, 2 RBI)
- First base hit of the season was a two-run home run over the right-center field wall, which tied the score of the game 2-2 in the third inning.
- Marked his first home run of the season (4th career).
- Notched first multiple RBI game this season (8th career).