March 8, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 12-3 overall this season... improved to 10-1 in home games... improved to 2-0 in night games.
- Was 1-of-2 Big 12 programs that reached 12 wins today (Kansas) - marking the fastest of any league teams this season.
- Has won 10 consecutive home games... first time Tech has won 10 straight home games since 2012 (Feb. 24-Mar).
- Has won at least 12 games during the opening 15 games of the season for the ninth time in school history and the first time since 2005 (13-2).
- Has started the season winning 12 games through opening 15 games: 2014, 2005, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1993, 1991, 1989, 1986).
- Improved all-time record to 1,513-1,200-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 985-466.
- First three-plus hour game of the season.
- Scored a season-high 15 runs.
- Tallied a season-high 18 base hits.
- All nine starters reached base safely.
- Seven-runs in the fifth inning mark its most during an inning all season.
- Hit five triples, marking the most by the Red Raider since setting a school-record six triples at Rice in 1975 during a 29-7 victory.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 80 percent of its innings pitched this season (107 scoreless innings - 134 innings pitched).
- Improved to 11-1 when scoring four or more runs.
- Has 22 multiple run innings this season (scored seven in the fifth... four in the sixth... two in the eighth).
- Hasn't committed an error in three consecutive games... 29 consecutive innings without committing an error.
- Marked the eighth time this season without committing an error... hasn't made an error in five of the last six games.
- Has posted at least one extra-base hit in 14-of-15 games this season.
- Pitching staff has allowed three runs or fewer in 11-of-15 games this season.
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 38-33 overall
- 29-11 at home
- 29-18 vs. non-conference opponents
- 24-4 at home (vs. non-conference)
- 29-23 vs. unranked opponents
- 16-17 in night games
- 30-16 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 19-12 in 5+ run games
- 28-8 when scoring first
- 34-5 when leading after six innings
- 35-3 when leading after seven innings
- 34-1 when leading after eight innings
- 16-10 in March
- 3-1 against New Mexico State
- 473-160 overall record in 11 years as a junior college and NCAA D-I head coach (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
NEW MEXICO STATE ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech takes a 42-17 lead in the all-time series over New Mexico State... Tech leads the series 31-6 in games played in Lubbock... Tech has won eight of the last 10 meetings in Lubbock dating back to 2000... the Red Raiders have won four of the last six meetings and seven of the last 10 overall since 2008.
RHP Dominic Moreno (W, 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 3 SO - 87 Pitches)
- Earned first win of the season... is the seventh Red Raider to earn a victory this season.
- Is now 4-6 career in 16 appearances and 14 starts... owns a 3.29 career ERA that ranks seventh in school history (since 1974 aluminum bat era).
- Allowed just one earned run for the fourth consecutive start.
- Matched a career-high four walks... also issued four walks vs. La Salle (3/1/13) and at No. 11 Oklahoma (4/28/13).
RHP Johnathon Tripp (3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO)
- Marked longest outing of the season throwing three innings.
- Struck out multiple batters for the second consecutive outing and for the 12th time during his career.
RHP Nick Pettus (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO)
- Marked first career scoreless appearance.
- Struck out a season-high two batters.
3B Jake Barrios (4-FOR-5, 2 R, 3B, 4 RBI)
- Career-high four base hits.
- Matched a career-high four RBI... also had four RBI vs. Baylor (5/16/13) in Lubbock going 3-for-4 with a double.
- Hit first triple of the season (5th career).
- Reached base safely in 5-of-6 plate appearances during the game (1B, 5-3, 1B, 1B, 3B, HBP).
- Became the first Red Raider with four hits and at least four RBI in a game since 2012 when Tim Proudfoot and Mason Randolph each went 4-for-6 with 6 RBI vs. Alabama A&M on March 14.
- Notched his fourth multi-hit game of the season (20th career).
- Tallied second multiple RBI game of the season (15th career)... led Tech with 13 a year ago.
1B Eric Gutierrez (3-FOR-5, RBI, 2 R, 3B, RBI, HBP)
- Made 71st consecutive start on Friday... longest streak among active players.
- Has hit safely in 13-of-15 games this season... has hit safely in 24 of last 29 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
- Recorded fourth multi-hit game of the season (16th career) and first career three-hit game.
- Notched a career-high three base hits.
2B BRYANT BURLESON (3-FOR-4, RBI, 2 R, 3B, RBI, SAC FLY)
- Became the first Red Raider to hit a triple in back-to-back games since 2012 (Jamodrick McGruder).
- Notched third multi-hit game this season (27th career).
- Tallied second three-hit game of the season (6th career).
- Hit second triple of the season (3rd career).
C Mason Randolph (2-FOR-4, R, 3B, 4 RBI, BB)
- Has reached base safely in 10 of his last 13 plate appearances.
- Hit first career triple.
- Scored the game's first run with an RBI single with one out in the second inning.
- Marked first game this season with more than two RBI in a game... 3rd career game with at least 3 RBI in a game.
DH Matt Broadbent (2-FOR-3, 2 R, 2B, BB, HBP)
- Recorded second multi-hit game of the season.
- Season-high two runs scored.
CF Stephen Smith (1-FOR-3, 2 R, 3B, 2 RBI, 2 BB)
- Has reached base safely in seven of his last nine plate appearances.
- Season-high three walks... matched the most walks by a Red Raider in a game this season (4th time a Red Raider had 3 in a game).
- Scored the first two runs of the game, giving Tech a 1-0 lead in the fourth and a 2-0 lead in the sixth.
- Has reached base safely in 10 of his last 15 plate appearances.
SS Ryan Long (0-FOR-4, 2 R, 2 BB)
- Five-game hitting streak was snapped.
- Batting .375 (15-for-40) during last 11 games played (Feb. 21-March 4).
- Has reached base safely in 11 of his last 20 plate appearances.
RF Adam Kirsch (2-FOR-4, RBI, 2 RBI BB)
- Recorded fourth multiple hit game - his third with multiple hits and also multiple RBI
- Extended hit streak to 13 games with a pair of base hits in the game... is the longest hit streak by a Red Raider newcomer since 2011 (B. Barnes - 13 games).
- Longest hit streaks by Red Raider newcomers since 2004.
20 Games - Cameron Blair (2004)
13 Games - Adam Kirsch (2014)
13 Games - Barrett Barnes (2010)
13 Games - Roger Kieschnick (2006)
11 Games - Reid Redman (2011)
11 Games - Justin Berry (2009)
11 Games - Chris Hall (2007)
11 Games - Geoff Byrnes (2007)
11 Games - Carey Avants (2005)