March 10, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 14-3 overall this season... improved to 12-1 in home games... improved to 12-3 in day games.
- Became the first Big 12 baseball program to reach 14 wins this season.
- Improved current winning streak to six games... marks the second longest win streak this season (8 games).
- Has won 12 consecutive home games for the first time since 2002 (13 straight - April 16-May 19, 2002).
- Has won at least 14 games during the opening 17 games of the season for the seventh time in school history and the first time since 2005 (14-3).
- Has started the season winning 14 games through opening 17 games: 2014, 2005, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1991, 1986.
- Swept its first four-game series since 1999 (vs. Howard).
- Has won its first three series of the season (vs. Indiana, vs. Oral Roberts, vs. New Mexico State) in back-to-back years... Last year won opening three series vs. UTA, vs. La Salle and at Texas.
- Tim Tadlock is the first head coach in school history to lead his team to three straight series wins to open the season in back-to-back years.
- Improved all-time record to 1,515-1,200-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 987-466.
- Went 4-0 on the weekend vs. NMSU while batting .353, fielding .994 and recording a 3.69 ERA.
- Posted 42 runs during the series on 49 base hits.
- Turned two double plays - marking the first time this season with multiple double plays in back-to-back games.
- Has turned 19 double plays on the season - leads Big 12 Conference.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 78 percent of its innings pitched this season (121 scoreless innings - 155 innings pitched).
- Marked the ninth game this season not committing a defensive error.
- Improved to 13-1 when scoring four or more runs.
- Has 28 multiple run innings this season (scored 2 runs in the 1st... scored 4 runs in the 3rd... scored 4 runs in the 4th... scored 3 runs in the fifth).
- Has posted at least one extra-base hit in 16-of-17 games this season.
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 40-33 overall
- 31-11 at home
- 31-18 vs. non-conference opponents
- 26-4 at home (vs. non-conference)
- 31-23 vs. unranked opponents
- 24-16 in day games
- 31-16 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 20-12 in 5+ run games
- 29-8 when scoring first
- 35-5 when leading after six innings
- 36-3 when leading after seven innings
- 35-1 when leading after eight innings
- 18-10 in March
- 5-1 against New Mexico State
- 475-160 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
NEW MEXICO STATE ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech takes a 44-17 lead in the all-time series over New Mexico State... Tech leads the series 33-6 in games played in Lubbock... Tech has won 10 of the last 12 meetings in Lubbock dating back to 2000... the Red Raiders have won six of the last eight meetings and nine of the last 12 overall since 2008.
RHP Matt Withrow (ND, 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO - 63 Pitches)
- Start was his fourth this season and the 16th of his two-year career.
- Earned a no decision (2nd of the season).
- Became the first Red Raider to strikeout out the side in the first inning since Corey Taylor last season against Utah Valley (Mar. 13, 2013).
- Left the game with a 6-2 lead (runner at first base) in the top of the fourth inning.
- Threw 63 pitches, his fewest in a start this season.
LHP Jonny Drozd (W, 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO)
- Earned first win of the season (5th career)... became the ninth Red Raider to win a game this season.
- Has made 14 career relief outings with 31.1 innings pitched with a 0.58 ERA.
- Lowered career ERA to 3.01 in 24 career outings with 83.2 innings pitched... ERA ranks 6th all-time in school history.
- Marked seventh scoreless outing this season (15th career).
- Pitched three innings matching a season-high, which he also accomplished in his debut this season (3.0 IP) vs. No. 3 Indiana (2/14).
- Three strikeouts are a season-high and matched his most during his career in relief (at Dallas Baptist - Apr. 9, 2013).
LHP Ty Damron (3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO)
- Earned first career save... became the second Red Raider freshman this season with first career save (Ryan Moseley).
- Threw a season-high 3.0 innings.
- Marked second straight relief outing after making career debut in a starting role vs. No. 3 Indiana (2/16).
- Struck out a season-high two batters.
LF Alec Humphreys (3-FOR-5, 3 R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB)
- Led team during New Mexico State series batting .600 (6-for-10) with 5 runs, double, triple, 4 RBI, .636 on-base percentage and .900 slugging percentage.
- Posted third multi-hit game of the season (5th career)... second time during career with back-to-back multi-hit games (vs. UConn/at FIU - 2013).
- Matched a career-high 3 base hits (3rd time).
- Scored a career-high 3 runs.
- Notched second multiple RBI game of the season (3rd career).
1B Eric Gutierrez (2-FOR-3, 3 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB, HBP)
- Made 73rd consecutive start on Sunday... longest streak among active players.
- Has reached base safely in 12 of his last 15 plate appearances (dates back to Mar. 7).
- Has hit safely in 15-of-17 games this season... has hit safely in 26 of last 31 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
- Recorded sixth multi-hit game of the season (18th career).
- Posted third multiple RBI game of the season (10th career).
- Matched a career-high 3 runs for the second time this season (3rd career).
- Hit second home run of the season (9th career)... hit a home run in back-to-back games for the fourth time of his career... homered in four consecutive games as a freshman in 2013.
Devon Conley (2-FOR-3, R, RBI, 2 BB)
- Notched second multi-hit game of the season (22nd career).
- Tallied second bunt base hit of the season (7th career).
- Notched 2nd stolen base of the season (17th career).
DH Adam Kirsch (0-FOR-2, R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, SAC FLY)
- Had hit streak to 14 games snapped after going 0-for-2 with two walks and a sacrifice fly.
- Recorded fifth multiple RBI game.
- Has the longest hit streak by a Red Raider newcomer since 2004 (Cameron Blair - 14 games).
- Hit streak ranks third among Red Raider newcomers dating back to 2001.
- Longest hit streaks by Red Raider newcomers since 2001.
20 Games - Cameron Blair (2004)
17 Games - Anthony Arnerich (2001)
14 Games - Adam Kirsch (2014)
13 Games - Barrett Barnes (2010)
13 Games - Roger Kieschnick (2006)
CF Stephen Smith (0-FOR-3, R, R, 2 BB)
- Led off the Texas Tech bottom of the first inning with a walk for the fourth consecutive game as the Red Raider leadoff hitter.
- Marked the fifth consecutive game he has led off for Tech in the first inning and reached base (2B-BB-BB-BB-BB).
- Led the team with eight walks in the four-game series with the NMSU Aggies.
3B Jake Barrios (2-FOR-3, 2 R)
- Notched fifth multi-hit game of the season (21st career).
- Tallied third multiple RBI game of the season (16th career)... led Tech with 13 a year ago.
2B Bryant Burleson (3-FOR-5, 2 R, 2B, 5 RBI)
- Notched fourth multi-hit game this season (28th career).
- Tallied third three-hit game of the season (7th career).
- Matched a career-high two doubles in a game for the third time this season (5th career).
C Hunter Redman (1-FOR-5, 2 RBI)
- Posted first career multiple RBI game.
LF Todd Ritchie (0-FOR-0, OF ASSIST)
- Threw a runner out at the plate in the top of the ninth inning for the first out of the frame.
- Recorded second outfield assist this season (7th career)... tied for team lead in 2013 with five.