March 19, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 17-5 overall and to 5-0 during midweek games... improved to 14-1 in home games... improved to 4-1 in night games.
- Became the first Big 12 Conference team to win 17 games this season.
- Improved all-time record to 1,518-1,202-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 989-466.
- Has won 14 consecutive home games for the first time since 1999 (21 straight - February 5-April 4, 1999).
- Has won 10 consecutive home midweek games (dating back to 2013) for the first time since 2004-06 (14 consecutive).
- Has its best start to a season (17-5) since the 1999 season when the Red Raiders were 17-5 through 22 games.
- Has won 17 of its opening 22 games for the sixth time over the last 24 years (2014, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1991).
- Hit four doubles in the game... has hit at least one double in 20-of-22 games this season.
- Improved to 17-1 when scoring two or more runs this season.
- Scored 20 runs for the first time since 2012 (25, vs. Alabama A&M).
- Scored 11 runs in an inning for the first time since 2007 (vs. Dallas Baptist - 4th inning on Feb. 16, 2007).
- Marked the second time this season (vs. UNM) that four Red Raiders finished with multiple hits.
- Batted through the batting order in the first inning for the first time this season.
- Scored five runs in the first inning for the third time this season (vs. No. 3 Indiana - Feb. 15, vs. Abilene Christian).
- Notched ninth game this season with double-figure base hits... finished with 17 hits (18 vs. New Mexico State is a season-high).
- Marked the 13th time this season without making a fielding error... Red Raiders lead the Big 12 fielding .981.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 78 percent of its innings pitched this season (153 scoreless innings - 196 innings pitched).
LATEST FIRST PITCH FOR TEXAS TECH HOME GAME IN OVER 13 YEARS
- Texas Tech and SFA were scheduled to start game one of their two-game midweek series at 6:30 p.m. in Lubbock on Tuesday evening. The game's first pitch was then scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. due to the forecast of possible inclement weather. The game ended up starting at 9:06 p.m. - marking the latest first pitch for Tech in Lubbock in over 13 years.
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 43-35 overall
- 33-11 at home
- 33-18 in non-conference play
- 28-4 in non-conference play at home
- 34-25 vs. unranked opponents
- 18-18 in night games
- 10-18 vs. left-handed starting pitchers
- 22-12 in 5+ runs games
- 31-8 when scoring first
- 37-5 when leading after six innings
- 38-3 when leading after seven innings
- 37-1 when leading after eight innings
- 21-12 in March
- 2-0 against Stephen F. Austin
- 478-162 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech improves to 3-1 all-time against Stephen F. Austin while leading the series 2-1 in games played in Lubbock... tonight marked the first time playing SFA at home since 2007... The Red Raiders and `Jacks played earlier this season (W, 5-4) in Nacogdoches on Feb. 27.
RHP Matt Withrow (W, 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO - 72 Pitches)
- Earned the win during his first midweek start of the season.
- Texas Tech is now 8-2 during his last 10 starts (dates back to 2013).
- Improved to 6-0 career in home games (12 APP, 11 GS, 6-0, 3.97 ERA, 52.2 IP, 23 ER, 48 SO, 26 BB).
- Retired nine consecutive batters from the 1st-to-3rd inning.
- Made 17th career start - leads all active Red Raiders.
- Marked third start this season pitching five innings.
- Hasn't allowed a double or triple all season.
RHP Dalton Brown (2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO)
- Has made a scoreless appearance in 5-of-6 outings this season (8 career).
- Struck out multiple batters for the third time this season (6th career).
- Pitched multiple innings for the second time this season (4th career).
CF Stephen Smith (5-FOR-6, 2 R, 3 RBI)
- Became the first Red Raider with five hits in a game since 2011 (Stephen Hagen, 5 - at No. 14 Baylor - March 19, 2011).
- Became the first Tech freshman with five hits in a game since 2009 (Scott LeJeune, 5-for-5, 3 RBI).
- Marked seventh straight home game leading off Tech 1st inning with either a base hit or a walk.
- Second multi-hit game of the season.
- First time during career with a pair of base hits in one inning (infield single in sixth... single to LF in sixth).
- Notched first two career infield base hits today.
- Had a season-high three RBI... second multiple RBI game this season.
3B Jake Barrios (3-FOR-3, 4 R, RBI, BB, 2 HBP)
- Improved hit streak to eight games.
- Reached base safely in all six plate appearances... has reached base safely in eight consecutive plate appearances dating back to Baylor series finale.
- Is the first Red Raider to reach base safely in eight consecutive plater appearances since 2013 (Brett Bell - 9).
- LAST 12 GAMES: .477 (21-for-44), 17 runs, 2 doubles, triple, 11 RBI, eight walks, 5 hit-by-pitch, only two strikeouts and .596 on-base percentage.
- Has raised batting average .121 (March 6 - .189 - to - March 18 - .310) during the last eight games.
- Has hit safely in nine of his last 10 games.
- Notched fifth infield hit this season (10th career).
- Had a career-high four runs scored.
- Had a career-high two hit-by-pitch.
RF Adam Kirsch (1-FOR-2, 2 R, 5 RBI, BB)
- Has reached base safely in 20 consecutive games (Feb. 15-Mar. 18)... Longest streak by a Red Raider since Jake Barrios reached in 25 straight in 2013 (Mar. 16-Apr. 30, 2013).
- Has hit safely in 18 of his last 20 games.
- Hit Big 12-leading 11th double in the sixth inning.
- Became second Red Raider this season with five RBI in a game (Bryant Burleson, vs. New Mexico State - Mar. 9).
1B Eric Gutierrez (2-FOR-5, 3 R, 4 RBI, BB)
- Made 78th consecutive start on Tuesday... longest streak among active players.
- Has hit safely in 18-of-22 games this season... has hit safely in 29 of last 36 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
- Notched seventh multi-hit game this season (19th career).
- Had a career-high four RBI.
- Hit second triple of the season (4th career).
- Matched career-high three runs scored for the third time this season (4th career).
LF Alec Humphreys (2-FOR-4, 2 R, 2 RBI, BB)
- Recorded fifth multi-hit game this season (7th career).
- Posted third infield hit this season (4th career).