March 22, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 18-7 overall and to 2-3 in Big 12 games... Improved to 3-3 in road games (4-5 in road/neutral site games)... improved to 14-5 in day games.
- Tallied 15 base hits, which marks the most allowed by TCU since joining the Big 12 Conference... Tech's 15 hits are the most allowed by TCU since May 26, 2012 (16, vs. San Diego State).
- Win snapped a nine-game losing streak against TCU in Fort Worth dating back to 2005.
- Scored four runs on six hits off TCU starting pitcher Preston Morrison... Today's two-inning start marked the shortest starting during his career... Today marked Morrison's 32nd career start.
- Has its best start to the season (through 25 games) since 2007 (18-7)... Has won 18 of its opening 25 games for just the third time during the last 14 years (2006, 2007).
- Improved all-time record to 1,519-1,204-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time Big 12 record to 227-233-2 (18th season).
- Improved all-time road record to 422-649-3.
- Improved to 18-2 this season when scoring at least two runs.
- Had eight players score a run, eight players record an RBI and 10 players with a base hit in the game.
- Posted 15 base hits - which more than doubles its previous high in Big 12 play this season... previous high was seven hits against Baylor on March 16.
- Is 15-0 this season when leading after six innings.
- Is 17-3 when holding opponent to five runs or fewer.
- Improved to 10-0 when out-hitting its opponent... Tech had 15 hits and TCU had six.
- Pitching staff has allowed 3 earned runs in 17-of-25 games this season.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 76 percent of its innings pitched this season (167 scoreless innings - 221 innings pitched).
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 44-37 overall
- 9-19 on the road
- 11-18 in Big 12 play
- 6-11 on the road in Big 12 play
- 10-11 against ranked opponents
- 6-10 against No. 11-35 ranked opponents
- 12-20 against Big 12 teams (includes regular season and post-season)
- 26-18 in day games
- 34-18 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 23-13 in 5+ run games
- 13-29 when opponent scores first
- 38-5 when leading after six innings
- 39-3 when leading after seven innings
- 38-1 when leading after eight innings
- 15 come-from-behind wins
- 22-14 in March
- 2-3 against TCU
- 479-164 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
TCU ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech snaps a nine-game losing streak against TCU in Fort Worth dating back to 2005... Tech is now 67-85-1 all-time against TCU with a 27-50-1 record against the Horned Frogs in Fort Worth... Tech is now 2-3 against TCU since the Frogs joined the Big 12 Conference in 2013.
LHP Cameron Smith (ND, 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 0 SO - 65 Pitches)
- Earned a no decision during second start of the season.
- Texas Tech is now 9-1 during Smith's 10 outings this season (2 starts, 8 relief outings).
LHP Jonny Drozd (W, 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO)
- Earned the win moving to 2-0 this season (6-5 career).
- Texas Tech improved to 10-2 during Drozd' s12 outings this season.
- Earned the win pitching six scoreless relief innings... has won three games during career throwing three or more innings in relief.
- Last time a Red Raider pitched 6 innings in relief and earned a win in Big 12 play was April 11, 2004 at No. 12 Nebraska (W, 10-3), Corey Gerstner (6 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO - 55 pitches).
- Made ninth scoreless outing of the season (17th career - - - 14 in relief).
- Posted seventh multiple strikeout game of the season (18 career).
- Now has a 2.82 ERA in 27 career appearances (10 starts) with 92.2 IP and 29 earned runs allowed... ERA ranks sixth all-time at Texas Tech for a career... 4th during aluminum bat era (since 1974).
- Is one of only four Red Raiders with a career ERA below 3.00 since 1974.
- CAREER IN RELIEF: 3-0, 0.67 ERA, 17 APP, 3 Saves, 40.1 IP, 31 H, 6 R, 3 ER, 7 BB, 27 SO.
1B Eric Gutierrez (1-FOR-5, 2B, RBI)
- Made 81st consecutive start on Saturday... longest streak among active players.
- Drove in Tech's third run of the game in the third inning with an RBI double... has a team-leading four game-winning RBI this season.
- Has hit safely in 20-of-25 games this season... has hit safely in 31 of last 39 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
- Hit fifth double of the season (15th career).
RF Adam Kirsch (3-FOR-4, R, 2 2B)
- Hit 12th and 13th doubles of the season... Leads the Big 12 Conference with 13 doubles.
- Recorded seventh multi-hit game this season, including his third three-hit game of the year.
- Has reached base safely in 21-of-24 games this season.
- Has hit safely in 19-of-24 games.
- Second time this season hitting a season-high two doubles... Seven times this season a Red Raider has hit a pair of doubles in a game.
PH/DH Zach Davis (2-FOR-4, 3 R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB)
- Pinch hit in the second inning in the lineup for the DH and remained in the game as the designated hitter.
- Tallied first multi-hit game of the season (2nd career).
- Posted fourth infield hit this season (7th career).
- Notched team-leading third bunt base hit of the season (4th career).
- Recorded a career-high three runs.
- Collected his first multiple RBI game of the season (2nd career).
- Hit his first double of the season (2nd career).
- Posted first walk of the season (10th career).
2B Bryant Burleson (2-FOR-4, R, HR, RBI, BB)
- Hit first career home run - solo shot over left-field wall - on a 2-2 pitch to lead off the fourth inning... HR gave Tech a 5-2 lead.
- Recorded seventh multi-hit game this season (31st career).
- Has hit safely in 7 of his last 9 games.
- Notched first walk since Feb. 27 midweek game at Stephen F. Austin.
C Tyler Floyd (2-FOR-5, R, RBI)
- Recorded second multi-hit game this season during sixth start.
- Has hit safely in 4-of-6 starts this season.
- Has scored a run in four consecutive games played.
- LAST 3 STARTS: batting .400 (4-for-10) with 4 runs, 2 RBI, 3 walks.
3B Jake Barrios (1-FOR-5, R, RBI)
- Drove in Tech's second run of the game with an RBI single in the third to give Tech a 2-1 lead.
- Tallied his fourth go-ahead RBI of the season (14th career).
LF Todd Ritchie (1-FOR-2, RBI)
- Tied the game scoring Tech's first run of the game with a two-out RBI single to right field in the second inning.
- Posted first game-tying RBI of the season (2nd career).