March 23, 2010
Final Stats |
- Texas Tech is now 10-12 on the season (9-4 at Dan Law Field) after tonight's 9-5 win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The Red Raiders have now won two straight after suffering through a seven-game losing skid.
- Tonight's game marked the 12th overall meeting between the Red Raiders and the Islanders. Tech now leads the all-time series 10-2 and snapped a two-game losing skid in the series.
- Freshman right-hander Brandon Petite registered a season-high in both innings pitched and strikeouts tonight as he logged five innings of work and seven punch-outs. The five-inning start was the longest in a midweek game this year by any Tech pitcher and he lowered his ERA from 13.50 to 10.38 with tonight's effort against the Islanders.
- Three different Red Raiders hit home runs in tonight's game. Jeremy Mayo and Stephen Hagen both picked up their third home runs of the year while Taylor Ashby added his second. Mayo and Hagen are tied with Barrett Barnes and Kevin Whitehead for the team lead as all four players have three each.
- Freshman second baseman Jamodrick McGruder extended his season-long hit streak to eight games with a pair of hits tonight against the Islanders. McGruder went 2-for-3 at the plate and has now tied teammate Michael Reed's eight-game hit streak from earlier this season.
- Senior shortstop Joey Kenworthy went 2-for-3 with an RBI and now has seven multiple-hit games on the season which is one shy of Scott LeJeune's team-leading eight multi-hit games.
- Texas Tech turned two double plays tonight, including one with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth inning, to give the Red Raider defense 24 on the season. The 24 double plays lead the Big 12 Conference.