March 26, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 20-7 overall and to 17-4 in non-conference games... Improved to 15-2 in home games... improved to 16-5 in day games.
- Marked its second shutout this season (vs. Indiana - series finale).
- Is the only NCAA Division I baseball program that currently has 20 wins, 6 wins vs. top-25 opponents and opened league play with back-to-back road series.
- Has won five of its last seven games and 12 of its last 16 games overall.
- Has its best start to the season (through 27 games) since 1999 (22-5)... Has 20 wins (through 27 games) for the 8th time in school history (2014, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991).
- Combined on its first one-hitter since Feb. 17, 2012 (Duke von Schamann, Trey Masek) vs. No. 31 Missouri State at Rip Griffin Park on Opening Day.
- Pitching staff had a season-high 13 strikeouts... fourth time this season with 10 or more strikeouts.
- Didn't commit an error on defense for the 14th time this season.
- Game lasted only 1 hour and 58 minutes - tied for the second fastest played game this season.
- Improved all-time record to 1,521-1,204-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 990-467-5.
- Improved to 20-2 this season when scoring at least two runs.
- Is 17-0 this season when leading after six innings.
- Is 19-3 when holding opponent to five runs or fewer.
- Improved to 12-0 when out-hitting its opponent.
- Pitching staff has allowed three or fewer earned runs in 19-of-27 games this season.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 77 percent of its innings pitched this season (183 scoreless innings - 239 innings pitched).
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 46-37 overall
- 34-12 at home
- 34-19 in non-conference play
- 29-5 at home in non-conference play
- 35-26 against unranked opponents
- 28-18 in day games
- 12-19 vs. left-handed starting pitchers
- 5-3 in 2-run games
- 7-7 in shutouts
- 32-8 when scoring first
- 40-5 when leading after six innings
- 41-3 when leading after seven innings
- 40-1 when leading after eight innings
- 24-14 in March
- 1-0 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff
- 481-164 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF ALL-TIME SERIES
- Today marks the first-ever meeting between Texas Tech and Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
RHP Matt Withrow (W, 7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 SO - 87 Pitches)
- Won his third game of the season (8th career).
- Red Raiders are now 9-2 during his last 11 starts dating back to last season.
- CAREER (Home Games): 13 APP (12 GS), 7-0, 3.50 ERA, 59.2 IP, 23 ER, 58 SO, 28 BB.
- Struck out a career-high 10 batters... previous career-high: 7, vs. La Salle (2013).
- Matched a career-high 7.0 innings pitched (7 IP, vs. La Salle
- Became the first Red Raider with 10 strikeouts in a game since last season (Corey Taylor - 12, vs. Utah Valley).
- Leads Tech this season with 32 strikeouts... next closest Red Raider has 23 (Moreno).
- Carried a no-hitter for 5.1 innings before a bloop single in the infield recorded the only hit of the game.
- Carried a no-hitter for 5.1 innings for the first time since 2007 (A.J. Ramos - 5.1 IP, vs. Kansas).
- Second time this season he has struck out the side in the first inning... third time this season by a Red Raider (Corey Taylor).
- Became the first Red Raider to strike out four consecutive batters since last season (Corey Taylor - vs. Utah Valley).
- Started the game retiring 14 consecutive batters... hit-by-pitch in the fifth inning with two outs broke up the perfect game.
- Threw first-pitch strikes to 17-of-25 batters faced.
- Hasn't allowed a double or triple this season.
RHP Dalton Brown (Save - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO)
- Earned his first save of the season (2nd career).
- Retired all six batters faced.
- Third time this season pitching a season-high two innings.
- Has made a scoreless appearance in 6-of-7 outings.
- Posted a season-high three strikeouts.
2B Bryant Burleson (2-FOR-3, R, SB, BB)
- First time during career with three straight multi-hit games.
- Recorded ninth multi-hit game this season (33rd career).
- Has hit safely in 9 of his last 11 games.
3B Jake Barrios (2-FOR-4, RBI)
- Tallied 10th multi-hit game this season (26th career).
- LAST 13 GAMES: .415 (22-for-53), 12 runs, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 13 RBI, 6 walks, 3 hit-by-pitch,2 stolen bases, just 2 strikeout.
1B Eric Gutierrez (2-FOR-4, RBI)
- Made 83rd consecutive start on Tuesday... longest streak among active players.
- Notched eighth multi-hit game this season (20th career).
- Has hit safely in 21-of-27 games this season... has hit safely in 32 of last 40 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).