March 30, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 22-8 overall and to 4-4 in Big 12 play.
- Improved to 17-3 in home games... improved to 17-5 in day games.
- Leads the Big 12 improving to 7-3 (.700) against ranked opponents this season (4-2 at home).
- Marked 17th come-from-behind win under second-year head coach Tim Tadlock... 8th come-from-behind win this season.
- Improved all-time record to 1,523-1,205-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 992-468-5.
- Improved all-time Big 12 record to 229-234-2.
- Is the only NCAA Division I baseball program that currently has 22 wins, 7 wins vs. top-25 opponents and opened league play with back-to-back road series.
- Only one team in the country (Louisiana-Lafayette, 25-3) has more wins than Texas Tech.
- Is the first Big 12 Conference team to reach 22 wins this season.
- Has won five of its last six, seven of its last 10 and 14 of its last 19 games overall.
- Has its best start to the season (through 30 games) since 1999 (24-6)... Has 22 wins (through 30 games) for the 8th time in the last 25 years (2014, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991).
- Improved to 22-2 this season when scoring at least two runs.
- Is 19-0 this season when leading after six innings.
- Is 21-3 when holding opponent to five runs or fewer.
- Every starting Red Raider had at least one base hit - marked first time this season.
- Had eight different players score its eight runs.
- Scored in the first five innings of the game... marked the first time scoring in five consecutive innings since May 22, 2011 vs. No. 22 Oklahoma State (5 straight).
- Hasn't made an error in 15 games this season... Tech is 11-4 when it doesn't commit an error on the season.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 75 percent of its innings pitched this season (199 scoreless innings - 266 innings pitched).
RIP GRIFFIN PARK SINGLE-GAME ATTENDANCE RECORD BROKEN - 4,353
- Today's paid attendance of 4,353 marked a new Rip Griffin Park single-game attendance record - dating back to 2012 when the stadium was renovated. The home of Red Raider baseball has welcomed 8,559 fans for the Texas series through two games. Entering the week, Texas Tech ranked 24th in the nation in total home attendance (33,816) and 28th in average home attendance (2,254). Following the opening two games of the series against Texas the Red Raiders season average has raised 191 fans.
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 48-38 overall
- 36-13 at home
- 13-19 in Big 12 play
- 6-8 at home in Big 12 play
- 12-12 against ranked opponents
- 8-11 vs. 11-35 ranked opponents
- 29-18 in day games
- 13-19 vs. left-handed starting pitchers
- 15-29 when opponent scores first
- 42-5 when leading after six innings
- 43-3 when leading after seven innings
- 42-1 when leading after eight innings
- 26-15 in March
- 3-2 against Texas
- 483-165 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
TEXAS ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech improves to 40-104 all-time against Texas with a 21-48 all-time record against the Longhorns in Lubbock... Tech improves to 9-4 against Texas in middle games of Big 12 series (4-2 in Lubbock)... Tech's eight runs marked its most against the Longhorns since 2010 (W, 12-5 - Mar. 26)... Texas Tech and Texas are an even 6-6 during last 12 meetings dating back to 2010... Red Raiders trail Longhorns 11-12 in matchups in Lubbock during the Big 12 era (1997-Present).
LHP Cameron Smith (ND, 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO - 17 Pitches)
- Texas Tech is 10-1 during his 11 outings this season (3 starts).
- Marked the shortest start by a Red Raider since April 6, 2013 (Jonny Drozd, 0.1 IP) at Kansas State.
- Marked third start of the season.
- Left with a 2-1 lead following one inning of play.
- Threw first-pitch strikes to 4-of-5 batters faced.
LHP Jonny Drozd (W, 7.0 IP, 11 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO)
- Has won three games this season (4th career) pitching in relief - all three have come in outings of three innings or longer.
- Back-to-back weeks winning Big 12 games pitching in at least six innings of relief (at TCU - 3/22).
- Became the first Red Raider in over 13 years to earn a Big 12 Conference win pitching in at least seven innings of relief.
- Threw first-pitch strikes to 25-of-34 batters.
- Recorded 15 ground outs and just one fly out.
- Had at least one Texas base runner reach scoring position in 6-of-7 innings pitched.
- Is now 7-5 career as a Red Raider (28 APP - 18 in relief).
- Texas Tech is 11-2 during his team-leading 13 outings this season (all relief).
- Lowered career ERA to 2.80 (6th in Texas Tech history).
- CAREER IN RELIEF: 4-0, 0.96 ERA, 18 APP, 3 Saves, 47.1 IP, 42 H, 8 R, 5 ER, 10 BB, 31 SO.
- CAREER VS. TEXAS: 2-0, 1.49 ERA, 2 APP (both relief), 12.1 IP, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO.
- CAREER AT HOME: 14 APP (9 relief), 4-2, 1.79 ERA, 55.2 IP, 47 H, 12 R, 11 ER, 13 BB, 43 SO.
C Hunter Redman (1-FOR-4, R, SB)
- LAST 7 GAMES: .435 (10-for-23), 4 runs, double, 4 RBI, 2 walks, 1 stolen base.
- Has hit safely in 12-of-16 starts.
- Has a five-game hit streak.
- Notched first career stolen base (2nd base - 2nd inning) to become the ninth Red Raider this season with a stolen base.
3B Jake Barrios (1-FOR-4, R, RBI, BB)
- LAST 16 GAMES: .381 (24-for-63), 15 runs, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 14 RBI, 9 walks, 3 hit-by-pitch, 2 stolen bases, just 3 strikeout.
- Has hit safely in six of his last seven games.
- Tallied his third game-winning RBI of the season with a ground ball to SS in the fourth inning that scored right fielder Stephen Smith... Now has 5 career game-winning RBI.
1B Eric Gutierrez (2-FOR-4, 2B, HBP)
- Made 86th consecutive start on Saturday... longest streak among active players.
- Has hit safely in 24-of-30 games this season... has hit safely in 35 of last 43 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
- Tallied his 10th hit-by-pitch this season (30th career).
- Recorded his 9th multi-hit game of the season (21st career).
- Hit seventh double of the season (17th career).
SS Tim Proudfoot (1-FOR-4, R, RBI, 8 ASSISTS)
- Recorded 99th career base hit with single to center field in the eighth... ranks second among active players with 99 career base hits (Burleson - 122).
- Has hit safely in 5-of-6 starts this season.
- Had eight assists at shortstop, which are his most since also posting eight a year ago at Texas - also in game two of the series in Austin.
2B Bryant Burleson (2-FOR-5, R, RBI, 5 ASSISTS, 2 DOUBLE PLAYS)
- Posted his ninth multi-hit game this season (33rd career).
- Tallied team's only two-out RBI of the game with an RBI single in the second inning giving Tech a 3-1 lead while scoring catcher and high school teammate Hunter Redman who singled.
- Has hit safely in 9 of his last 11 games.
- Has scored at least one run in 5 of his last 6 games.
- Has 4 multi-hit games over his last 6 games played.
- Has raised his batting average .066 points over the last 16 games... Was batting .213 (Mar. 6) and is now batting .279.