April 12, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 26-11 overall and 6-7 in Big 12 play (2-2 at home)... improved to 19-4 at home and to 8-4 in night games this season.
- Win gives Texas Tech 26 overall wins and 19 home wins through 37 games - both totals match the Red Raiders season totals last season.
- Marked its first Big 12 series opening win of the season... first series opening win in Big 12 play since final conference series of 2013 vs. Baylor (5/16/13).
- Has its best start to the season (through 37 games) since 1999 (29-8).
- Snapped a four-game losing streak to Kansas State.
- Improved all-time record to 1,527-1,208-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 994-469-5.
- Improved to 26-4 when scoring at least two runs.
- Improved to 24-5 when holding opponents to five runs or fewer.
- Improved to 22-1 when leading after six innings.
- Currently leads the Big 12 in runs (231), hits (354), triples (16), wins vs. top-25 (8), home wins (19), fielding percentage (.982).
- Position players had streak of 45 consecutive innings played without committing an error snapped in the third inning tonight.
- Team defense ranks among the top five in the country and leads the Big 12 with a .982 fielding percentage.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 74 percent of its innings pitched this season (238 scoreless innings - 322 innings pitched).
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 52-41 overall
- 38-14 in home games
- 15-22 in Big 12 games
- 7-9 in home Big 12 games
- 39-26 against ranked opponents
- 16-24 against Big 12 opponents (all games)
- 22-21 in night games
- 39-21 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 9-13 in 1-run games
- 16-31 when opponent scores first
- 46-6 when leading after six innings
- 47-3 when leading after seven innings
- 46-1 when leading after eight innings
- 18th come-from-behind win
- 8-13 in April
- 1-4 against Kansas State
- 487-168 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
KANSAS STATE ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech takes a 29-25-1 lead in the all-time series over K-State... Tech leads the series 16-8-1 in games played in Lubbock... Tech improves to 10-8 in series openers against KSU, including a 6-3 record in Lubbock... Tech improved to 5-7 in one-run games all-time against K-State... tonight marked Tech's first one-run victory over K-State since the Big 12 Championship in Arlington in 2002 (5-4, 12 inn.)... prior to tonight, Tech's last one-run win over KSU in Lubbock was in 1998 (6-5 - game two of series)... the win snapped a four-game losing streak to the Wildcats... it also snapped a three-game losing streak to K-State in Big 12 series openers... Tech's last series opening win before tonight was in 2010 in Lubbock - the same season that marked Tech's last series win over KSU.
RHP Dominic Moreno (ND, 2.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO - 55 Pitches)
- Made eighth start of the season (18th career) while taking second no decision of the year.
- Left the game with Texas Tech trailing 2-0 with one out in the KSU third inning.
- Struck out at least one batter for the 18 consecutive start (every start during career).
LHP Cameron Smith (W, 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO)
- Earned the win improving to 5-0 this season.
- Became the first Red Raider to start a season 5-0 since 2011 (John Neely).
- Became the first Red Raider to start Tech career 5-0 since 2005 (Zach Butler).
- Pitched five scoreless innings in relief to earn his first career Big 12 win.
- Has thrown multiple innings during 4-of-5 wins.
- Has allowed one or fewer runs in 11-of-15 appearances.
- Posted a season-high five strikeouts.
- Threw first-pitch strikes to 13-of-18 batters faced.
- Improved to 22-4 during entire collegiate career in 40 appearances (New Mexico JC/Texas Tech).
LHP Jonny Drozd (S, 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO)
- Earned third save of the season pitching 1.2 innings to close the game.
- First time this season with a save recording more than three outs... first career save in 2013 came in a four-inning relief outing vs. Baylor in Big 12 Championships.
- Struck out multiple batters for the ninth time this season (20th career).
1B Eric Gutierrez (2-FOR-4, 2B)
- Has an 11-game hit streak.
- Has reached base safely in 13 consecutive games.
- Recorded 13th multi-hit game of the season (25th career).
- Has posted four consecutive multi-hit games... batting .529 (9-for-17) during that span.
- Has nine extra-base hits during last 16 games played.
- Made 93nd consecutive start on Friday... longest streak among active players.
- Has hit safely in 31-of-37 games this season... has hit safely in 42 of last 50 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
C Hunter Redman (2-FOR-3, R, BB)
- LAST 10 GAMES (since Mar. 21): batting .406 (13-for-32) with 4 runs, 4 RBI and 4 BB.
- BIG 12 PLAY: leads team batting .394 (13-for-33) with 5 runs, 2 doubles and 7 RBI.
- Posted seventh multi-hit game.
- Has five multi-hit games over his last nine games played.
SS Tim Proudfoot (1-FOR-2, R)
- First bunt base hit of the season (4th career).
- Has hit safely in 11-of-13 starts this season.
- Recorded one assists - now has 398 for his three-year career... needs two assists to become the first Red Raider since 2010 (Joey Kenworthy) with 400 career assists.
RF Stephen Smith (1-FOR-4, RBI)
- Posted fifth infield hit this season.
- Was the only Red Raider with an RBI.
- Has hit safely in 6 of his last 8 and 10 of his last 14 games.
LF Tyler Neslony (0-FOR-3)
- Had eight-game hit streak snapped.