April 16, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 29-11 overall... marks its best record through 40 games since 1999 (32-8).
- Has won five consecutive games - marks the longest active winning streak in the Big 12 Conference.
- Improved to 10-1 in midweek games and to 8-1 in home midweek games.
- Improved to 22-4 at home... best record at home (through 26 games) since 1999 (25-1)... matched its most wins at home in a season since 2005 (23-9).
- Improved to 5-0 during current homestand.
- Improved to 21-4 in non-conference play this season, including 18-2 in non-conference home games.
- Marked its third win during its last at-bat this season.
- Won its 20th come-from-behind game under head coach Tim Tadlock (11th this season).
- Improved to 8-0 on Tuesdays this season.
- Improved to 7-2 in the month of April... best record in the month of April (through 9 games) since 2001 (8-1).
- Improved all-time record to 1,530-1,208-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 997-469-5.
- Improved to 29-4 when scoring at least two runs.
- Improved to 26-5 when holding opponents to 5 runs or fewer.
- Bullpen this season: 17-3 with 10 saves.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 74 percent of its innings pitched this season (258 scoreless innings - 349 innings pitched).
TEXAS TECH - RPI WATCH
- Texas Tech is ranked No. 10 in the NCAA RPI... Following the Red Raiders victory over Dallas Baptist, Texas Tech is 4-4 vs. top-15 RPI and 10-5 vs. top-50 RPI with games played against No. 3 Texas (1-2), No. 6 Houston (0-1), No. 9 Indiana (3-1), No. 11 Rice (1-0), No. 30 Dallas Baptist (1-0), No. 34 TCU (2-1) and No. 49 New Mexico (2-0).
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 55-41 overall
- 41-14 in home games
- 38-19 in non-conference games
- 32-5 in home non-conference games
- 18-8 in midweek games
- 14-1 in home midweek games
- 42-26 against unranked opponents
- 18-24 against Big 12 opponents (all games)
- 33-20 in day games
- 41-21 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 10-13 in 1-run games
- 18-31 when opponent scores first
- 5-30 when trailing after six innings
- 4-33 when trailing after seven innings
- 3-31 when trailing after eight innings
- 20 come-from-behind wins
- 11-13 in April
- 2-1 against Dallas Baptist
- 490-168 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
DALLAS BAPTIST ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech takes a 14-8 lead in the all-time series over Dallas Baptist... Tech leads the series 8-6 in games played in Lubbock... Tech has won four of the last five and eight of the last 10 all-time meetings... first time Tech has won back-to-back games over DBU in Lubbock since 2005... marks Tech's first one-run victory over DBU in Lubbock since 2008... Tech is now 3-2 all-time against DBU in one-run games.
RHP Matt Withrow (ND, 2.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO - 58 Pitches)
- Made 8th start of the season and 20th start of his career.
- Texas Tech improved to 10-3 during his last 13 starts dating back to last season.
- Struck out multiple batters for the eighth time this season... leads the team with 37 strikeouts.
LHP Cameron Smith (5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO)
- Entered in relief in the third inning and finished outing throwing five scoreless innings in relief.
- Marked eighth scoreless outing of the season - fourth scoreless appearance throwing at least four innings out of the pen.
- Has pitched 10 consecutive scoreless innings dating back to last outing (vs. K-State - 5.0 IP, 0 R).
- Has struck out four or more batters in three of his last four outings... 5 SO is a season-high (vs. K-State).
- Has inherited a team-high 22 base runners... allowed only five to score.
RHP Dominic Moreno (1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO)
- Improved to 2-5 on the season (5-9 career) while earning first career win pitching in relief.
- Marked second scoreless relief outing this season.
- CAREER IN RELIEF: 1-0, 3.44 ERA, 6 APP, 13.1 IP, 14 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 17 SO.
RF Stephen Smith (2-FOR-5, R, 2B, 3 RBI, WALK-OFF BASE HIT)
- Became the first Red Raider with a walk-off base hit since 2012 (Barrett Barnes - infield single to SS - vs. Houston, 12 inn.).
- Recorded second game-tying RBI.
- Notched third go-ahead RBI.
- Collected second game-winning RBI.
- Has hit safely in 9 of his last 11 and 13 of his last 17 games.
- Tallied sixth multi-hit game of the season.
- Has a six-game hit streak.
- Has reached base safely in 11 consecutive games.
- Posted third multiple RBI game of the season.
2B Bryant Burleson (1-FOR-4, RBI)
- Recorded 400th career assist (see graph below)... became the fifth Red Raider with 400 career assists since 2001.
- Has a seven-game hit streak.
- Had three assists in the game... second assist - final out in the sixth inning - gave him No. 400 for his career.
RED RAIDERS - CAREER ASSISTS (SINCE 2001)
Joey Kenworthy - 526 (2007-10)
Gera Alvarez - 442 (2001-02)
Tim Proudfoot - 414 (2012-14)
Willie Rueda - 404 (2006-09)
Bryant Burleson - 401 (2012-14)
LF Tyler Neslony (0-FOR-3, R)
- Has reached base safely in 12 consecutive games.
- Has nine runs scored during his last seven games played.
- Has only four strikeouts in 62 at-bats this season.
1B Eric Gutierrez (0-FOR-2, 2 HBP)
- 13-game hit streak was snapped going 0-for-2.
- Has reached base safely in 16 consecutive games.
- Made 96th consecutive start on Tuesday... longest streak among active players.
- Despite going 0-for-2, has hit safely in 33-of-40 games this season... has hit safely in 44 of last 53 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
- Was hit-by-pitch twice for the 13th and 14th times this season (34 career).
- Marked the first time this season (4th career) to have a pair of hit-by-pitch in a game.
3B Jake Barrios (1-FOR-3, 2B)
- Has a five-game hit streak.
- Had rare infield double with pop up between home plate and the pitcher's mound that fell as two DBU players collided and Barrios hustled and reached second base on the infield pop up.