April 28, 2014
Box Score |
- Improved to 35-13 overall and to 11-7 in Big 12 play.
- Has won 11 of its last 13 and 18 of its last 24 games overall.
- Has its most wins in a season since 2002 (40).
- Currently leads Big 12 - wins (35), wins vs. top-25 (8), home wins (28), batting average (.296), on-base percentage (.395), slugging percentage (.421), runs (319), hits (470), doubles (96), triples (19), RBI (287), double plays turned (49).
- Marks its best overall record through 48 games since 1999 (37-11)... eighth best record in school history through 48 games.
- Only three teams in the nation have more wins than Texas Tech's 35 wins: UL-Lafayette (39), Virginia (37) and Cal Poly (36).
- Has back-to-back Big 12 series sweeps... That total (2) is more than it had the previous seven seasons combined (2007-13).
- Marked its 22nd all-time Big 12 series sweep (18th in Lubbock).
- Marked the seventh season to sweep a pair of Big 12 series (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997) - Tech has made NCAA Tournament previous six times.
- Swept three consecutive series for the first time since 2002.
- Swept back-to-back Big 12 series for the first time since 2002.
- Swept Oklahoma for the first time since 2002.
- Swept a Big 12 series with three come-from-behind victories for the first time since 2000 (vs. Baylor).
- Marks its first time with 11 wins through 18 Big 12 games since 2004 (12-6).
- Has won six consecutive Big 12 games for the first time since 2004 (6).
- Has won six consecutive Big 12 home games for the first time since 2002 (6).
- Had 46 hits in the series against Oklahoma - its most in a Big 12 series since 2011 (51, at Baylor).
- Improved to 28-4 at home this season... best record at home through 32 games since 1999 (28-4).
- Marks its most wins at home since 2002 (28-5).
- Has won 11 straight home games.
- In 32 home games this season: .327 batting average ... 2.84 ERA ... .984 fielding percentage.
- Improved all-time record to 1,536-1,210-8 (65th season).
- Improved all-time home record to 1,003-469-5.
- Improved all-time Big 12 record to 236-237-2 (18th season).
- Improved to 35-5 when scoring at least two runs.
- Improved to 32-7 when holding opponents to five or fewer runs.
- Improved to 30-1 when leading after six innings.
- Improved to 22-2 when out-hitting its opponent.
- Improved to 8-2 on Sundays this season.
- Improved to 6-2 in series finales this season (4-2 in Big 12 play).
- Improved to 9-6 in televised games this season... Tech is now 8-4 in games played on a FOX platform this season.
- Has four consecutive games without committing an error - longest streak this season.
- Hasn't committed an error in 26 games this season.
- Turned two double plays... has turned multiple double plays 11 times this season... turned seven double plays in the OU series.
- Leads Big 12 with 49 double plays turned and with a .982 fielding percentage.
- Has 32 base hits during opening two games of series... marks its most during opening two games of a Big 12 series since 2011 (vs. No. 22 Oklahoma State - 35).
- Has tallied double-figure base hits in six of its last eight Big 12 games... has double-figure base hits in nine of the last 15 games.
- Bullpen this season: 20-4, 12 saves, 3.24 ERA, 211.1 innings, 198 hits, 76 earned runs, 70 walks, 167 strikeouts, .253 opponent batting average.
- Pitching staff has held its opponent scoreless in 74 percent of its innings pitched this season (307 scoreless innings - 415 innings pitched).
- Pitching staff ERA (3.28) is best in a season since 1973 (3.25).
TADLOCK RECORDS BIGGEST TURNAROUND (1ST-TO-2ND SEASON) IN BIG 12 CONFERENCE AMONG ACTIVE HEAD COACHES IN BIG 12 ERA
- Tadlock has turned around the Texas Tech baseball program faster than any current head coach in the league with his respective school. In the Big 12 era and among Big 12 active coaches, no coach in the league has a better turnaround (wins from previous season) than Tadlock during their first-to-second season. The previous mark was +4 by K-State coach Brad Hill. Tadlock is currently at +9 with a 26-win season in 2013 and currently 35-13 this season.
Coach (Team) Turnaround 1st Season ... 2nd Season Records
Tim Tadlock (Texas Tech) +9 2013 (26-30) ... 2014 (35-13)
Brad Hill (Kansas State) +4 2004 (26-30) ... 2005 (30-25)
Ritch Price (Kansas) -4 2003 (35-28) ... 2004 (31-31)
Augie Garrido (Texas) -6 1997 (29-22) ... 1998 (23-32)
Randy Mazey (West Virginia) -9 2013 (33-26) ... 2014 (24-16)
Josh Holliday (Oklahoma State) -10 2013 (41-19) ... 2014 (31-13)
Pete Hughes (Oklahoma) N/A 2014 is 1st season at Oklahoma
Steve Smith (Baylor) N/A 1995-96 first two seasons in Southwest Conference
Jim Schlossnagle (TCU) N/A 2004-05 first two seasons in C-USA
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 61-43 overall
- 47-14 in home games
- 20-22 in Big 12 games
- 12-9 in home Big 12 games
- 8-6 in Big 12 series finales
- 48-26 against unranked opponents
- 36-21 in day games
- 45-23 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 30-15 in 5-plus run games
- 20-33 when opponent scores first
- 53-6 when leading after six innings
- 55-3 when leading after seven innings
- 53-1 when leading after eight innings
- 23 come-from-behind wins
- 17-15 in April
- 4-3 against Oklahoma
- 494-170 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
OKLAHOMA ALL-TIME SERIES
- With the win, Texas Tech improves to 31-41-1 all-time against Oklahoma while Tech now leads 17-12 in games played in Lubbock... Tech is now 8-9 in Big 12 series against Oklahoma... recorded its third sweep over the Sooners all-time (1999 - Norman ... 2002 - Lubbock)... has won three straight games against the Sooners for the first time since 2002 (Lubbock) - which is also the last time Tech swept Oklahoma... Tech scored 37 runs against the Sooners in the series - its most ever against OU in a Big 12 series (previous mark - 1997, 28 runs)... Tech scored its most runs ever against the Sooners in a three-game series in Lubbock... Tech is now 11-6-1 in series finales against OU with a 6-3 record in finales in Lubbock.
LHP Dylan Dusek (ND, 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO - 70 Pitches)
- Made 10th start this season (2nd in Big 12 play) while receiving 5th no decision of the season.
- Has issued one or fewer walks in 8-of-10 starts.
- Texas Tech is 9-1 during 10 starts.
RHP Dominic Moreno (W, 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO)
- Earned third win of the season (3-5) during seventh relief appearance of the season... two of three wins have come in relief.
- Marked second longest relief outing of the season (3.1 vs. #20 Oklahoma State).
- Four of seven relief outings have been scoreless.
1B Eric Gutierrez (2-FOR-3, 3 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI, HBP)
- Made 104th consecutive start on Sunday... longest streak among active players.
- Hit a career-high two home runs... leads the Big 12 with 10 home runs this season... now has 17 career home runs.
- Became the first Red Raider to hit two home runs in a home game since 2010 (Michael Reed, vs. Missouri).
- Leads team with 18 multi-hit games this season (30 career).
- Posted 13th multiple RBI game of the year (20th career).
- Tied career-high four RBI in a game (4th time this season).
- Collected team-leading fourth game-tying RBI this season (6th career).
- Posted team-leading seventh go-ahead RBI this season (12th career).
- Has reached base safely in 42-of-48 games this season.
- Has hit safely in 39-of-48 games this season... has hit safely in 47 of last 61 games dating back to last season (Apr. 27, 2013).
RF Stephen Smith (1-FOR-2, R, RBI, BB, SAC FLY)
- 13-GAME HIT STREAK (since Apr. 4): .409 (18-for-44), 15 runs, 7 doubles, 1 triple, 8 RBI, 12 walks, .542 on-base percentage.
- Has a 13-game hit streak (longest active streak on the team).
- Has hit safely in 16 of his last 18 and in 20 of his last 24 games overall.
- Has reached base safely in 18 consecutive games.
- Has reached base safely in 31-of-35 starts this season.
- Texas Tech is 8-1 during his nine starts in right field.
LF Tyler Neslony (2-FOR-3, 2 R, 2B, BB)
- Has reached base safely in 20 consecutive games (longest active streak among Red Raiders).
- Has an eight-game hit streak.
- Has hit safely in 22-of-25 starts this season.
- Posted 12th multi-hit game of the season (15th career).
- Tallied sixth multiple RBI game this season (7 career).
- Has only six strikeouts in 104 plate appearances (89 AB) this season.
C Hunter Redman (2-FOR-4, R, 2 RBI)
- Tallied eighth multi-hit game of the season (6 have come in Big 12 play).
- Recorded fourth multiple RBI game.
- Notched first career go-ahead RBI.
- Posted second game-winning RBI of the season.
CF Devon Conley (2-FOR-4, R)
- Led team batting .615 (8-for-13) with five runs in the series against Oklahoma.
- Posted fifth multi-hit game this season (25th career).
- First time during career with three straight games with a multi-hit game.
- Posted fifth bunt base hit of the season (10th career).
- Notched fifth infield hit of the season (19th career).
3B Alec Humphreys (2-FOR-3, 3 R, RBI, HBP)
- Tallied seventh multi-hit game this season (9th career).
- Matched career-high three runs scored.
- Posted fourth infield base hit this season (5th career).
2B Bryant Burleson (1-FOR-4, R, 2B, RBI)
- Recorded Big 12-leading 17th double of the season (41 career).
- Needs only two doubles to join Texas Tech all-time career top-10 list.
DH Adam Kirsch (1-FOR-3, R, 3B, 3 RBI)
- Hit first career triple... is the 12th Red Raider with at least one triple this season.
- Has nine multiple RBI games this season.
SS Tim Proudfoot (1-FOR-3, R, RBI, BB)
- Has reached base safely in 18-of-24 starts this season.
- Has eight RBI during his last seven games played.