June 15, 2014
Box Score |
Post-Game Notes | CWS Post-Game Notes
- Dropped to 45-20 overall on the season and to 3-6 on a neutral site field.
- Played in its first-ever College World Series game.
- Marked the fifth time this season Tech and TCU had played... TCU leads the series 3-2 with a win in Fort Worth (Game 3), a midweek win in Abilene on a neutral field and today.
- Had three-game win streak snapped.
- Dropped to 12-11 against ranked opponents this season.
- Dropped to 15-10 in televised games this season... is now 1-1 on ESPN2 this season.
- Dropped all-time record to 1,546-1,217-8 (65th season)... Dropped all-time neutral site record to 110-92.
TEXAS TECH NCAA TOURNAMENT NOTES
- Made its College World Series debut in today's game.
- Dropped to 20-20 all-time in the NCAA Tournament (10th appearance - 1st CWS).
- Pitching staff has thrown 57 scoreless innings during the NCAA Tournament with 63 overall innings pitched.
- Had its streak of 27 consecutive scoreless innings pitched snapped in the first inning.
- Tech starting pitchers had its streak of 36 consecutive scoreless innings pitched snapped during the first inning.
- Pitching staff has a 0.86 ERA (63.0 IP/6 ER) in the NCAA Tournament (7 games).
- Dropped to 8-16 all-time in the NCAA Tournament against ranked opponents.
- Dropped to 12-10 as a 2-seed in the NCAA Tournament... this season marks the fifth time Tech has been a No. 2 seed (has been a 2-seed more often than any other seed).
- Second-year head coach Tim Tadlock is 5-2 in NCAA Tournament games.
PAID ATTENDANCE: 24,587 - COLLEGE WORLD SERIES RECORD FOR GAME 3
- Sunday's paid attendance was 24,587, which marked a College World Series record for Game 3 of the CWS.
TEXAS TECH - UNDER HEAD COACH Tim Tadlock (2nd Season)
- 71-50 overall
- 4-10 in neutral site games
- 5-2 in NCAA Tournament games
- 48-25 in non-conference games
- 4-10 in neutral non-conference games
- 17-20 against ranked opponents
- 6-3 against ranked opponents (No. 1-10)
- 42-25 in day games
- 51-29 vs. right-handed starting pitchers
- 16-17 in 1-run games
- 25-37 when opponent scores first
- 6-37 when trailing after six innings
- 4-39 when trailing after seven innings
- 5-9 when tied after eight innings
- 3-2 in June
- 3-5 against TCU
- 506-177 overall record in 11 years as a collegiate head coach (junior college and NCAA D-I) (Grayson County: 1997-2005; Texas Tech: 2013-Present)
TCU ALL-TIME SERIES
- Today marked the 156th all-time meeting between Texas Tech and TCU - while it was the first-ever meeting in NCAA Tournament play... TCU leads the all-time series 87-68-1... with the loss, Tech now leads TCU 4-3 on a neutral site... TCU defeated Tech earlier this season 4-0 on a neutral site in Abilene, Texas... TCU leads 5-3 in the series against Tech since the Horned Frogs became a member of the Big 12 Conference (since 2013).
LHP Chris Sadberry (ND, 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO - 70 Pitches)
- Marked his team-leading 17th start of the season... is the first Red Raider to start in at least 17 games since 2006 (Miles Morgan, 17).
- Marked his 10th no decision of the season.
- Texas Tech is now 11-7 during games he has pitched.
- Has allowed two or fewer runs in 13-of-17 starts.
- Has pitched at least five innings in 14-of-17 starts.
- Marked the fourth time this season to throw at least seven innings... Tech was 3-0 when he had pitched at least seven frames.
- Three hits allowed are his fewest in a start going at least five innings this season... allowed zero hits in a four-inning no decision against Prairie View A&M (Apr. 19).
LHP Jonny Drozd (L, 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO)
- Suffered first loss of the season.
- Only the fifth time in 27 appearances allowing multiple runs this season
LF Tyler Neslony (1-FOR-4, 3B, 2 RBI)
- Drove in both of Tech's runs in the eighth inning with one out with a triple off the right field wall.
- Marked his sixth triple of the season - most by a Red Raider in a season since 2012 (Jamodrick McGruder - 8).
- Has reached base safely in 37 consecutive games played... longest streak reaching base safely by a Red Raider since Jamodrick McGruder (39 straight, 2010-11).
- Has hit safely in 23 of his last 25 games played.
1B Eric Gutierrez (0-FOR-4)
- Made 121st consecutive start on Sunday... longest streak among active players.
- Has reached base safely in 55-of-65 games this season.
DH Adam Kirsch (2-FOR-4)
- Was the only Red Raider with a multi-hit game.
- Fourth on the team with 15 multi-hit games this season.
- Leads Tech batting .389 (7-for-18) against TCU (5 games) this season.
PH Anthony Lyons (1-FOR-1, R)
- Pinch hit single to left field in the eighth inning.
- Is batting .333 (3-for-9) as a pinch hitter this season.