Coulombe posted a 1.64 ERA in eight relief appearances this year
June 6, 2012
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT CENTRAL
Photo Gallery - 2012 | Coulombe Highlight Video | Career Game-by-Game Stats
LUBBOCK, Texas -
For the first time in school history seven Texas Tech players have been selected in the top-25 rounds of the Major League Baseball First-Year Players Draft while redshirt-junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Coulombe (Scottsdale, Ariz.) is the most recent as he was drafted in the 25th round (776 overall) by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
It marks the second time Coulombe has been drafted by the Dodgers while also being selected by the Dodgers in 2008 following his senior year in high school in the 17th round.
Coulombe was among the top relievers for the Red Raiders this season compiling a 1-0 record, 2.53 ERA in 10 appearances with two starts. He tallied 21.1 innings pitched allowing 22 hits and six earned runs with 26 strikeouts and just nine walks.
In a relief role, Coulombe posted a 1.64 ERA in eight appearances with 11 innings pitched with 13 strikeouts and five walks allowed.
Coulombe started the season as one of the Red Raiders starting pitchers and registered back-to-back five-inning starts while striking out at least five batters in both contests. He struck out a season-high eight batters in his second start of the season - his first career win - against Northern Illinois on Feb. 25.
During his two-year Texas Tech career, Coulombe went 1-2 with a 3.24 ERA in 14 appearances and six starts with 41.2 innings pitched, 54 strikeouts and 16 walks allowed.
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT PICKS:
Supp. 1st Round - CF Barrett Barnes (Pittsburgh Pirates - No. 45 Overall)
9th Round - 2B Jamodrick McGruder (Seattle Mariners - No. 281 Overall)
14th Round - RHP Shane Broyles (Colorado Rockies - No. 438 Overall)
15th Round - RHP Duke von Schamann (Los Angeles Dodgers - No. 476 Overall)
21st Round - C Bo Altobelli (Minnesota Twins - No. 640 Overall)
23rd Round - 2B Reid Redman (Tampa Bay Rays - No. 722 Overall)
25th Round - LHP Daniel Coulombe (Los Angeles Dodgers - No. 776 Overall)
TEXAS TECH SIGNEES MLB DRAFT PICKS:
12th Round - LHP Dalton Friend (Pittsburgh Pirates - No. 367 Overall)
17th Round - C Charles Moorman (Texas Rangers - No. 546 Overall)
20th Round - LHP Logan Ehlers (Detroit Tigers - No. 634 Overall)
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT NOTES:
- Marks the first time in school history to have seven MLB Draft picks in the top 25 rounds.
- Coulombe is Texas Tech's 130th all-time MLB Draft pick/free agent selection in program history.
- Coulombe is Texas Tech's 9th left-handed pitcher to be drafted/sign free agent with an MLB organization.
- Coulombe is the 55th Texas Tech pitcher to be drafted/sign free agent with an MLB organization.
- Coulombe is the 16th Texas Tech left-handed pitcher to be drafted/sign free agent with an MLB organization.
- Coulombe is the fourth player in Texas Tech history to be drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the second selected by the Dodgers during this draft (RHP Duke von Schamann - 15th Round).
- Coulombe was the 13th pitcher selected in the MLB Draft by the Dodgers this year.
- Coulombe was the third left-handed pitcher selected by the Dodgers in this year's draft.
- Coulombe becomes the 26th MLB Draft pick under Dan Spencer at Texas Tech.
- Marks the 18th top-30 round MLB Draft pick under Spencer at Texas Tech.
- Marks the 15th pitcher selected in the MLB Draft under Spencer at Texas Tech.
- Marks the fifth left-handed pitcher selected in the MLB Draft under Spencer at Texas Tech.