Neely's selection set a new school record with eight MLB Draft picks for Texas Tech
June 6, 2012
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT CENTRAL
Photo Gallery - 2012 | Neely Highlight Video | Career Game-by-Game Stats
LUBBOCK, Texas -
Texas Tech set a new school record with eight Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft selections after senior right-handed pitcher John Neely (Sugar Land, Texas) was drafted in the 30th round (909 overall) by his hometown Houston Astros.
The previous Texas Tech record for most MLB Draft picks in a year was seven, which happened on four occasions in 2006, 2004, 1998 and 1996.
Neely capped off his three-year Texas Tech career in 2012 with a 3-7 record, 4.79 ERA in 15 appearances and 10 starts with one save, 56.1 innings and 35 strikeouts while allowing 14 walks.
Neely was a third team NCBWA All-America selection in 2011, becoming the first Red Raider pitcher to earn All-American honors since 1999. Neely went 9-1 with seven saves in 2011 with a 2.97 ERA in 60.2 innings with 56 strikeouts and 21 walks allowed.
He recorded a 13-9 career record with a 4.20 ERA in 55 appearances with 13 starts, 141.1 innings pitched, 107 strikeouts and allowed 44 walks. In addition, Neely accomplished a rare feat that spanned nearly his entire Tech career while not allowing a home run from March 26, 2010-April 27, 2012, which included 110.2 consecutive innings without allowing a home run.
Neely's draft pick marks the third Texas Tech right-handed pitcher taken in the top 30 rounds of this year's draft, marking the first time that has occurred since 1999.
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT PICKS:
Supp. 1st Round - CF Barrett Barnes (Pittsburgh Pirates - No. 45 Overall)
9th Round - 2B Jamodrick McGruder (Seattle Mariners - No. 281 Overall)
14th Round - RHP Shane Broyles (Colorado Rockies - No. 438 Overall)
15th Round - RHP Duke von Schamann (Los Angeles Dodgers - No. 476 Overall)
21st Round - C Bo Altobelli (Minnesota Twins - No. 640 Overall)
23rd Round - 2B Reid Redman (Tampa Bay Rays - No. 722 Overall)
25th Round - LHP Daniel Coulombe (Los Angeles Dodgers - No. 776 Overall)
30th Round - RHP John Neely (Houston Astros - No. 909 Overall)
TEXAS TECH SIGNEES MLB DRAFT PICKS:
12th Round - LHP Dalton Friend (Pittsburgh Pirates - No. 367 Overall)
17th Round - C Charles Moorman (Texas Rangers - No. 546 Overall)
20th Round - LHP Logan Ehlers (Detroit Tigers - No. 634 Overall)
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT NOTES:
- Texas Tech set a new school record with eight MLB Draft picks.
- Neely is Texas Tech's 131st all-time MLB Draft pick/free agent selection in program history.
- Neely is the 56th Texas Tech pitcher to be drafted/sign free agent with an MLB organization.
- Neely is the 40th Texas Tech right-handed pitcher to be drafted/sign free agent with an MLB organization.
- Neely is the ninth player in Texas Tech history to be drafted by the Houston Astros and the first since 2010 when Bobby Doran was a third-round pick by the Astros.
- Neely was the 13th pitcher selected in the MLB Draft by the Astros this year.
- Coulombe becomes the 27th MLB Draft pick under Dan Spencer at Texas Tech.
- Marks the 19th top-30 round MLB Draft pick under Spencer at Texas Tech.
- Marks the 16th pitcher selected in the MLB Draft under Spencer at Texas Tech.
- Marks the 11th right-handed pitcher selected in the MLB Draft under Spencer at Texas Tech.