June 7, 2013
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT CENTRAL
Masek Highlight Video | Masek 2013 Photo Gallery | Updated Bio | Career Game-by-Game Stats
LUBBOCK, Texas -
The Chicago Cubs selected Texas Tech junior right-handed pitcher Trey Masek (Giddings, Texas) with the 138th overall pick in the fifth round of the 2013 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft Friday afternoon.
It marks the first time since 2002-2003 that a Texas Tech player has been selected in the top five rounds in back-to-back years. Masek's former teammate Barrett Barnes was a supplemental first round pick (No. 45 overall) of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2012.
Masek went 5-2 in 11 starts with a 1.82 ERA to rank fourth in the Big 12 Conference. He posted three complete games pitching 79.0 innings with 69 strikeouts and 22 walks allowed. Opponents tallied only 56 hits and a .206 batting average this season.
He was an All-Big 12 honorable mention selection and became just the second Red Raider to be named to the Golden Spikes Award list during the last 14 years. His 1.82 ERA marked the best by a Red Raider starting pitcher during the aluminum bat era (since 1974).
He is one of five Tech pitchers since 1991 to lead the team in wins, ERA, complete games, innings pitched and strikeouts in the same season.
Masek made five starts going at least eight innings and threw at least six innings in all but one of his outings. He opened the season with a streak of 32.1 consecutive scoreless innings pitched which was the most consecutive scoreless innings pitched by a Red Raider in over 14 years.
In addition, Masek went back-to-back seasons without allowing a home run - a period of time that includes his last 29 appearances, 132.2 innings pitched and 2,021 pitches. His last home run allowed was in the Big 12 Championship on May 26, 2011.
TEXAS TECH MLB DRAFT NOTES:
- Masek is Texas Tech's 133rd all-time MLB Draft pick/free agent selection in program history.
- Masek is the 17th highest draft pick in school history.
- Masek is the 58th pitcher in school history to be drafted/41st right-handed pitcher.
- Masek is the eighth highest drafted right-handed pitcher in school history.
- Masek was the second right-handed pitcher selected in the 2013 draft by the Chicago Cubs.
- Masek is the fifth Red Raider to be drafted by the Chicago Cubs.
- Masek is the first Red Raider drafted by the Chicago Cubs since 2008 (LHP James Leverton, 8th Round).
- It marks back-to-back years the Red Raiders have had a top-five round pick - first time for Tech since 2002-2003... The Red Raiders had eight straight seasons with a top-five round pick from 1993-2000.
- Marks the 26th consecutive year Texas Tech has had at least one draft selection (1988-2013).
- Texas Tech remains the only school in the Big 12 that has had at least one top-14 round MLB Draft pick every year dating back to 1997 - the first year of the Big 12 Conference.
- Texas Tech extended its streak of having at least one MLB Draft pick in the top 26 rounds to 23 consecutive seasons (1991-2013).
- Texas Tech has now had at least one MLB Draft selection in 30 of the last 31 drafts dating back to 1982.
- Texas Tech has now had 33 draft picks selected from the 1st-10th rounds.
- Texas Tech now has 21 top-five round draft picks all-time... Eight top-five round picks since 2006.
- Texas Tech has had at least one pitcher drafted in 13 consecutive years.
- Marks the 116th MLB Draft/free agent selection in Tim Tadlock's coaching career.
- Tadlock has coached at least one MLB Draft pick in 19 consecutive years.
- Tadlock has coached 11 players who have been selected in the top-five rounds of the draft.