Broyles threw six shutout innings on Saturday with nine strikeouts
July 22, 2012
LUBBOCK, Texas -
The Texas Tech baseball program started the 2012 Major League Baseball season with several former players on MLB rosters and on Minor League Baseball teams trying to reach the big leagues.
Currently, there are 26 former Texas Tech players who are playing with an MLB organization as a player. Throughout the remainder of the 2012 MLB season, Texas Tech athletics communications will provide weekly updates on former Red Raiders competing at the major league and minor league level.
Dallas Braden (LHP - Starting Pitcher - Oakland Athletics)
- Braden, who missed the majority of the 2011 season following shoulder surgery, suffered a setback to his return to pitching for the Athletics with a left shoulder injury at the end of March that has resulted in Braden being placed on the 60-day disabled list. Braden threw his most recent bullpen on Saturday and is expected to join the team during the second half of the season. He has not pitched in a game since April 16, 2011. Braden pitched one season for Tech in 2004 and was drafted in 2004 in the 24th round by the Oakland Athletics.
Jeff Karstens (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Karstens has won three of his last four starts while pitching in at least seven innings in four consecutive starts. His most recent win came today with a seven innings, three strikeout performance over the Marlins in Pittsburgh where he didn't allow an earned run with just two walks allowed. Karstens is 3-2 this season with a 3.52 ERA in eight starts with 56 innings pitched with 31 strikeouts and nine walks allowed. Karstens pitched one season at Tech in 2003 and was drafted in 2003 in the 19th round by the New York Yankees.
Josh Tomlin (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Cleveland Indians)
- Tomlin pitched six innings allowing just two earned runs with two strikeouts today in a loss against Baltimore. He is 2-2 in his last four outings dating back to June 30. Tomlin is 5-7 this season with a 5.34 ERA in 15 starts with 91 innings pitched, 51 strikeouts and 21 walks allowed. Tomlin pitched one season at Tech in 2006 and was drafted in 2006 in the 19th round by the Cleveland Indians.
Josh Bard (C - Los Angeles Dodgers - Triple-A - Albuquerque Isotopes)
- Bard is batting .370 (10-for-27) over his last 10 games with three homers and eight RBI. On the season in 31 games, Bard is batting .298 with four doubles, five home runs and 23 RBI. Bard was a three-time All-America catcher at Texas Tech for three seasons, 1997-1999, and was drafted in 1999 in the third round by the Colorado Rockies.
Colt Hynes (LHP - Relief Pitcher - San Diego Padres - Triple-A - Tucson Padres)
- Hynes won his most recent start (July 21) pitching 5.2 innings in a starting role with five strikeouts while giving up three earned runs and two walks. Hynes is 4-8 this season with a 6.52 ERA in 15 starts (23 appearances) with 89.2 innings pitched, 56 strikeouts and 24 walks allowed. Hynes pitched two seasons at Tech, 2006-07, and was drafted in 2007 in the 31st round by the San Diego Padres.
Roger Kieschnick (RF - San Francisco Giants - Triple-A - Fresno Grizzlies)
- Kieschnick has been on the disabled list since the end of May after crashing into the outfield wall and suffering a shoulder injury. He started off the season on fire batting .319 (65-for-204) in 51 games with 12 doubles, four triples and 14 home runs with 37 RBI. In fact, during the 10 games before his injury, Kieschnick had four multi-hit games and four home runs, including a 4-for-5 performance with two homers and six RBI on May 23. Kieschnick was a three-year starter for Tech, 2006-08, and was drafted in 2008 in the third round by the San Francisco Giants.
Zach Stewart (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Boston Red Sox - Triple-A - Pawtucket Red Sox)
- Stewart made his fifth start in Triple-A in the Red Sox organization on Thursday with a no decision going 6.2 innings allowing just three earned runs with four strikeouts. Overall, in Triple-A, Stewart is 1-1 with a 3.81 ERA in 28.1 innings with 14 strikeouts and six walks allowed. Stewart was traded to the Boston Red Sox in a trade that sent long-time Red Sox slugger Kevin Youkilis to the White Sox for Stewart and Brent Lillibridge. Stewart pitched in 18 games this season (1 start) for the White Sox with a 1-2 record, 6.00 ERA, 30 innings pitched with 16 strikeouts and four walks. Stewart pitched one season at Tech in 2008 and was drafted in 2008 in the third round by the Cincinnati Reds.
Chad Bettis (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Colorado Rockies - Double-A - Tulsa Drillers)
- Bettis has not made an appearance this season while rehabbing a shoulder injury suffered in spring training. Bettis was named the California League Pitcher of the Year in 2011 while earning California League Mid and Postseason All-Star recognition. MLB.com named Bettis the organization's No. 3 prospect entering the season. Bettis pitched three years at Tech, 2008-10, and was drafted in 2010 in the second round by the Colorado Rockies.
AJ Ramos (RHP - Relief Pitcher - Miami Marlins - Double-A - Jacksonville Suns)
- Ramos allowed his first earned runs in over a month this past week but that hasn't changed the fact he has been one of the most dominant minor league pitchers this year. He is 3-1 with a 0.91 ERA in 40 appearances this season with 13 saves, 49.2 innings allowing just 24 hits and five earned runs with 61 strikeouts and just 16 walks. Opponents are hitting just .140 against the Lubbock native this year. Ramos pitched four years at Tech, 2006-09, and was drafted in 2009 in the 21st round by the Florida Marlins.
James Leverton (LHP - Relief Pitcher - Miami Marlins - Double-A - Jacksonville Suns)
- Leverton is 2-2 this year (Single-A and Double-A) with a 2-2 record, 3.40 ERA in 19 outings (4 starts) with 42.1 innings, 48 strikeouts and just 13 walks. Leverton pitched three years at Tech, 2006-08, and was drafted in 2008 in the 8th round by the Chicago Cubs.
Bobby Doran (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Houston Astros - Single-A (Advanced) - Corpus Christi Hooks)
- Doran, after being named a California League All-Star in the first half of the season, was promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi on June 22 and went 3-1 in Double-A this year. Overall this year Doran is 11-5 with a 3.92 ERA in 20 starts with 117.2 innings pitched, 80 strikeouts and 33 walks allowed. Doran pitched one season at Tech in 2010 and was drafted in 2010 in the third round by the Houston Astros.
Jay Johnson (LHP - Philadelphia Phillies - Double-A (Advanced) - Reading Phillies)
- Johnson is 1-1 this year with a 2.11 ERA in 19 appearances with 21.1 innings, 27 strikeouts and 11 walks allowed. Johnson pitched one year at Tech in 2010 and was drafted in 2010 in the 26th round by the Toronto Blue Jays.
Nathan Karns (RHP - Washington Nationals - Single-A (Advanced) - Potomac Nationals)
- Karns won for the third consecutive start on Saturday while pitching six near perfect innings with two strikeouts. The only batter that reached base during Karns' six frames was due to a fielding error by the shortstop. Karns has allowed just one earned run over his last 19 innings pitched. During his last nine starts, Karns is 6-2 with a 1.88 ERA in 52.2 innings with 61 strikeouts and just 17 walks allowed. Karns pitched two years at Tech, 2008-09, and was drafted in 2009 in the 12th round by the Washington Nationals.
Daniel Coulombe (LHP - Relief Pitcher - Los Angeles Dodgers - Single-A - Great Lakes Loons)
- Coulombe was promoted to Class A Great Lakes after making three appearances at the Rookie-League level. Coulombe has averaged 12.9 strikeouts/nine innings this season with 16 strikeouts in just 11.2 innings pitched. He owns a 4.63 ERA in 11 outings while opponents are batting just .239 against him this season. Coulombe pitched two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 25th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Zach Fowler (LHP - Baltimore Orioles - Single-A - Delmarva Shorebirds)
- Fowler is 0-1 in 19 appearances this season with a 3.05 ERA in 41.1 innings with 38 strikeouts and 14 walks allowed. Seven of his last 10 outings have been scoreless. Fowler pitched one year at Tech in 2011 and was drafted in 2011 in the 34th round by the Baltimore Orioles.
Robbie Kilcrease (LHP - Pittsburgh Pirates - Single-A - West Virginia Power)
- Kilcrease's only appearance this week was working a scoreless two-inning outing with two strikeouts and one walk on Friday (July 20). This season Kilcrease is 1-2 with a 3.50 ERA in 29 outings with three saves, 46.1 innings and 50 strikeouts allowing just 20 walks. Kilcrease pitched three years at Tech, 2008-09, 2011, and signed as a free agent in 2011 with the Pirates.
Jeremy Mayo (C - Washington Nationals - Single-A - Hagerstown Suns)
- Mayo went 2-for-4 with a double and RBI on Sunday and is batting .214 (9-for-42) with four doubles and two RBI this season. Mayo played three years at Tech, 2008-2010, and was drafted in 2010 in the 31st round by the Washington Nationals.
Kelby Tomlinson (SS - San Francisco Giants - Single-A - Augusta GreenJackets)
- Tomlinson is batting .222 (70-for-315) with 40 runs, six doubles, three triples, one home run and 27 RBi in 86 games this season. Tomlinson is among league leaders with 28 stolen bases in 35 attempts. Tomlinson played one year at Tech in 2011 and was drafted in 2011 in the 12th round by the San Francisco Giants.
Duke von Schamann (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Los Angeles Dodgers - Single-A - Great Lakes Loons)
- von Schamann is 3-0 with a 2.10 ERA in seven outings (5 starts) this season with 30 innings pitched, 16 strikeouts and four walks allowed. In his most recent start (Friday) he went 5.2 innings with five strikeouts and two walks allowed in a no decision. von Schamann pitched two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 14th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Barrett Barnes (CF - Pittsburgh Pirates - Short-Season-A - State College Spikes)
- Barnes is among league leaders this season in on-base percentage (.408), stolen bases (10) and home runs (4) while batting .289 (28-for-97) with 14 runs and four doubles with 19 RBI. Barnes played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the supplemental first round by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Shane Broyles (RHP - Colorado Rockies - Short-Season-A - Tri-City Dust Devils)
- Broyles was named the Northwest League pitcher of the Week on Monday and followed with another stellar performance on Saturday pitching six shutout innings with nine strikeouts while giving up just four hits and one walk. Broyles is 3-0 this season with a 1.45 ERA in six appearances (4 starts) with 31 innings pitched, 27 strikeouts and six walks allowed. Broyles pitched one year at Tech in 2012 and was drafted in 2012 in the 14th round by the Colorado Rockies.
Jamodrick McGruder (2B/LF - Seattle Mariners - Short-Season-A - Everett AquaSox)
- McGruder is batting .233 (27-for-116) this year with 21 runs, seven doubles, eight RBI and is 15-of-19 in stolen base attempts while leading the Northwest League. McGruder played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the ninth round by the Seattle Mariners.
John Neely (RHP - Relief Pitcher - Houston Astros - Short-Season-A - Tri-City ValleyCats)
- Neely is 0-0 with a 3.68 ERA and one save in 14.2 innings pitched with 11 strikeouts and four walks allowed. Neely pitched three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 30th round by the Houston Astros.
Rusty Shellhorn (LHP - Starting Pitcher - Seattle Mariners - Short-Season-A - Everett AquaSox)
- Shellhorn is 2-0 with a 1.14 ERA in five appearances (4 starts) in 23.2 innings with 27 strikeouts and five walks allowed this season. Shellhorn made four appearances in Rookie League before getting called up to Short-Season A during the middle of July. Shellhorn pitched one year at Tech in 2012 and was drafted in the 31st round by the Seattle Mariners.
Bo Altobelli (C - Minnesota Twins - Rookie League - Elizabethton Twins)
- Altobelli is batting .162 (6-for-37) with two doubles and five RBI in 10 games this season. Most recently, Altobelli went 2-for-3 with a run, double and two RBI on Sunday. Altobelli played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 21st round by the Minnesota Twins.
Reid Redman (2B - Tampa Bay Rays - Rookie League - Princeton Rays)
- Redman had a big week with three multi-hit games, including a 3-for-5 effort on Sunday with two runs, two doubles and three RBI. Over his last 10 games, Redman is batting .343 (12-for-35) with four doubles and eight RBI. Redman on the season - in 27 games - is batting .290 (29-for-100) with 23 runs, eight doubles, two triples, two home runs and 14 RBI with 4-of-6 stolen bases. Redman played two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 23rd round by the Tampa Bay Rays.