von Schamann went eight innings last Thursday allowing just one run on four hits
July 30, 2012
LUBBOCK, Texas -
The Texas Tech baseball program started the 2012 Major League Baseball season with several former players on MLB rosters and on Minor League Baseball teams trying to reach the big leagues.
Currently, there are 26 former Texas Tech players who are playing with an MLB organization as a player. Throughout the remainder of the 2012 MLB season, Texas Tech athletics communications will provide weekly updates on former Red Raiders competing at the major league and minor league level.
Dallas Braden (LHP - Starting Pitcher - Oakland Athletics)
- Braden, who missed the majority of the 2011 season following shoulder surgery, suffered a setback to his return to pitching for the Athletics with a left shoulder injury at the end of March that has resulted in Braden being placed on the 60-day disabled list. Braden faced live batters in a live batting practice session on Friday but threw just four or five pitches before suffering a strained left groin muscle. Braden is expected to join the team this season. He has not pitched in a game since April 16, 2011. Braden pitched one season for Tech in 2004 and was drafted in 2004 in the 24th round by the Oakland Athletics.
Jeff Karstens (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Karstens made one start last week where he took a no decision going five innings allowing four earned runs with seven strikeouts. He is 3-2 this season with a 3.88 ERA in nine starts with 51 innings, 38 strikeouts and 12 walks allowed. Karstens pitched one season at Tech in 2003 and was drafted in 2003 in the 19th round by the New York Yankees.
Josh Tomlin (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Cleveland Indians)
- Tomlin took the loss on Friday at Minnesota pitching four innings and giving up eight earned runs on 10 hits with two strikeouts. He is 5-8 this season with a 5.87 ERA in 16 starts with 95 innings pitched, 53 strikeouts and 21 walks allowed. Tomlin pitched one season at Tech in 2006 and was drafted in 2006 in the 19th round by the Cleveland Indians.
Josh Bard (C - Los Angeles Dodgers - Triple-A - Albuquerque Isotopes)
- Bard played in three games last week going 2-for-4 with two RBI on Monday and later in the week going 1-for-3 with a walk. He is batting .296 (34-for-115) this season with 12 runs, four doubles, five home runs and 25 RBI in 34 games. Bard was a three-time All-America catcher at Texas Tech for three seasons, 1997-1999, and was drafted in 1999 in the third round by the Colorado Rockies.
Colt Hynes (LHP - Relief Pitcher - San Diego Padres - Triple-A - Tucson Padres)
- Hynes earned the win in a dominating start on Thursday going seven innings with four strikeouts without allowing a run with just one walk allowed and scattering three base hits. He is 5-8 this season with a 6.05 ERA in 16 starts (24 appearances) with 96.2 innings, 60 strikeouts and 25 walks allowed. Hynes pitched two seasons at Tech, 2006-07, and was drafted in 2007 in the 31st round by the San Diego Padres.
Roger Kieschnick (RF - San Francisco Giants - Triple-A - Fresno Grizzlies)
- Kieschnick has been on the disabled list since the end of May after crashing into the outfield wall and suffering a shoulder injury. He started off the season on fire batting .319 (65-for-204) in 51 games with 12 doubles, four triples and 14 home runs with 37 RBI. In fact, during the 10 games before his injury, Kieschnick had four multi-hit games and four home runs, including a 4-for-5 performance with two homers and six RBI on May 23. Kieschnick was a three-year starter for Tech, 2006-08, and was drafted in 2008 in the third round by the San Francisco Giants.
Zach Stewart (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Boston Red Sox - Triple-A - Pawtucket Red Sox)
- Stewart took the loss last Tuesday pitching five innings at Indianapolis while giving up three runs on six hits with five strikeouts and three walks. Stewart is 1-2 in Triple-A with Boston with a 4.05 ERA in six starts with 33.1 innings and 19 strikeouts with nine walks allowed. Stewart pitched one season at Tech in 2008 and was drafted in 2008 in the third round by the Cincinnati Reds.
Chad Bettis (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Colorado Rockies - Double-A - Tulsa Drillers)
- Bettis has not made an appearance this season while rehabbing a shoulder injury suffered in spring training. Bettis was named the California League Pitcher of the Year in 2011 while earning California League Mid and Postseason All-Star recognition. MLB.com named Bettis the organization's No. 3 prospect entering the season. Bettis pitched three years at Tech, 2008-10, and was drafted in 2010 in the second round by the Colorado Rockies.
AJ Ramos (RHP - Relief Pitcher - Miami Marlins - Double-A - Jacksonville Suns)
- Ramos made two scoreless relief outings last week on back-to-back days while recording the save on Thursday and Friday while not allowing a base hit or a run. Ramos is 3-1 with a 0.87 ERA in 42 appearances with 15 saves, 51.2 innings and has 62 strikeouts and 17 walks allowed. Ramos pitched four years at Tech, 2006-09, and was drafted in 2009 in the 21st round by the Florida Marlins.
James Leverton (LHP - Relief Pitcher - Miami Marlins - Double-A - Jacksonville Suns)
- Leverton tallied his first save of the season on Saturday pitching a scoreless inning in relief with a strikeout. He is 3-2 this season with a 3.55 ERA in 22 appearances (4 starts) with 45.2 innings, 49 strikeouts and 13 walks allowed. Leverton pitched three years at Tech, 2006-08, and was drafted in 2008 in the 8th round by the Chicago Cubs.
Bobby Doran (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Houston Astros - Single-A (Advanced) - Corpus Christi Hooks)
- Doran, after being named a California League All-Star in the first half of the season, was promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi on June 22 and went 3-1 in Double-A this year. Last night Doran was solid pitching 6.2 innings allowing three earned runs with five strikeouts and didn't allow a walk. In both Single-A and Double-A this year, Doran is 11-5 with a 3.91 ERA in 21 starts with 124.1 innings, 85 strikeouts and just 33 walks. Doran pitched one season at Tech in 2010 and was drafted in 2010 in the third round by the Houston Astros.
Jay Johnson (LHP - Philadelphia Phillies - Double-A (Advanced) - Reading Phillies)
- Johnson made three appearances last week with three innings pitched and three strikeouts. He is 1-1 this year with a 2.59 ERA in 22 appearances with 24.1 innings, 30 strikeouts and just 30 walks allowed. Johnson pitched one year at Tech in 2010 and was drafted in 2010 in the 26th round by the Toronto Blue Jays.
Nathan Karns (RHP - Washington Nationals - Single-A (Advanced) - Potomac Nationals)
- Karns, who has twice been named the Carolina Pitcher of the Week this season, has won seven consecutive decisions and was solid again this past week going seven innings allowing just one run with seven strikeouts and one walk in the victory. He is 10-2 with a 1.92 ERA in 21 appearances (15 starts) with two complete games, 103 innings, 129 strikeouts and 39 walks allowed. Karns pitched two years at Tech, 2008-09, and was drafted in 2009 in the 12th round by the Washington Nationals.
Daniel Coulombe (LHP - Relief Pitcher - Los Angeles Dodgers - Single-A - Great Lakes Loons)
- Coulombe was promoted to Class A Great Lakes after making three appearances at the Rookie-League level. Coulombe has averaged 13.3 strikeouts/nine innings this season with 21 strikeouts in just 14.2 innings pitched. Coulombe struck out five batters in two relief outings this past week (3 IP) while striking out three batters in one inning on Sunday. He owns a 3.68 ERA this year in 13 outings. Coulombe pitched two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 25th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Zach Fowler (LHP - Baltimore Orioles - Single-A - Delmarva Shorebirds)
- Fowler is 0-1 with a 3.38 ERA in 20 appearances with 45.1 innings, 42 strikeouts and 14 walks allowed. Fowler pitched one year at Tech in 2011 and was drafted in 2011 in the 34th round by the Baltimore Orioles.
Robbie Kilcrease (LHP - Pittsburgh Pirates - Single-A - West Virginia Power)
- Kilcrease made three outings this past week - two scoreless - while pitching 5.1 innings, allowing one run and striking out three without allowing a walk. He is 1-2 this season with a 3.38 ERA in 32 appearances with three saves, 50.2 innings and 53 strikeouts with 20 walks allowed. Kilcrease pitched three years at Tech, 2008-09, 2011, and signed as a free agent in 2011 with the Pirates.
Jeremy Mayo (C - Washington Nationals - Single-A - Hagerstown Suns)
- Mayo played in just one game last week (0-for-4, 3 strikeouts) and is batting .196 (9-for-46) with five runs, four doubles and two RBI in 18 games played. Mayo played three years at Tech, 2008-2010, and was drafted in 2010 in the 31st round by the Washington Nationals.
Kelby Tomlinson (SS - San Francisco Giants - Single-A - Augusta GreenJackets)
- Tomlinson had a solid week batting .346 (9-for-26) with five runs, one triple, five RBI and three walks. He batted safely in five of six games and posted three multi-hit games, including a 3-for-5 performance with a triple and three RBI on Thursday. He is batting .232 (79-for-341) with 45 runs, six doubles, four triples, one home run, 32 RBI and is 28-of-35 in stolen bases. In addition, Tomlinson ranks ninth in the South Atlantic League with 28 stolen bases. Tomlinson played one year at Tech in 2011 and was drafted in 2011 in the 12th round by the San Francisco Giants.
Duke von Schamann (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Los Angeles Dodgers - Single-A - Great Lakes Loons)
- von Schamann didn't record a win in his only outing this past week but he was dominating while pitching eight innings giving up just one run on four hits with two strikeouts. von Schamann is now 3-1 with a 1.89 ERA in eight minor-league outings (6 starts) with 38 innings, 28 hits allowed and 16 strikeouts with five walks giving up. von Schamann pitched two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 14th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Barrett Barnes (CF - Pittsburgh Pirates - Short-Season-A - State College Spikes)
- Barnes has hit safely in six of his last seven games while notching a pair of multi-hit games last week. His top performance of the week came on Friday going 2-for-3 with two runs, a double, homer and three RBI with two walks. Barnes is batting .293 (36-for-123) with 16 runs, six doubles, five home runs, 24 RBI and 16 walks with 10-of-14 stolen bases. Barnes played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the supplemental first round by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Shane Broyles (RHP - Colorado Rockies - Short-Season-A - Tri-City Dust Devils)
- Broyles struck out four in 4.2 innings on Friday while allowing five runs on six hits. He is 3-1 this year with a 2.52 ERA in seven outings (5 starts) with 35.2 innings, 31 strikeouts and seven walks allowed. Broyles pitched one year at Tech in 2012 and was drafted in 2012 in the 14th round by the Colorado Rockies.
Jamodrick McGruder (2B/LF/CF - Seattle Mariners - Short-Season-A - Everett AquaSox)
- McGruder hit safely in five games last week and went 3-for-6 on Saturday with a run and an RBI. McGruder leads the Northwest League with 18-of-22 stolen bases - next closest has 13 - and is batting .248 (37-for-149) with 24 runs, eight doubles, 10 RBI, 22 walks and a .353 on-base percentage. McGruder played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the ninth round by the Seattle Mariners.
John Neely (RHP - Relief Pitcher - Houston Astros - Short-Season-A - Tri-City ValleyCats)
- Neely made a pair of three-inning relief outings last week and allowed just one run in six innings while striking out three. Neely is 0-0 with a 2.61 ERA and one save in 20.2 innings with 14 strikeouts and six walks allowed this season. Neely pitched three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 30th round by the Houston Astros.
Rusty Shellhorn (LHP - Starting Pitcher - Seattle Mariners - Short-Season-A - Everett AquaSox)
- Shellhorn struck out eight in 4.2 innings on Friday while allowing just three hits and didn't give up and earned run in the loss. In both Rookie League and Single-A outings this season, Shellhorn is 2-1 with a 2.16 ERA in seven appearances (6 starts) with 33.1 innings, 22 hits allowed, 39 strikeouts and just seven walks allowed. Shellhorn made four appearances in Rookie League before getting called up to Short-Season A during the middle of July. Shellhorn pitched one year at Tech in 2012 and was drafted in the 31st round by the Seattle Mariners.
Bo Altobelli (C - Minnesota Twins - Rookie League - Elizabethton Twins)
- Altobelli is batting .143 (6-for-42) with four runs, two doubles and five RBI this season in 11 games played. Altobelli played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 21st round by the Minnesota Twins.
Reid Redman (2B - Tampa Bay Rays - Rookie League - Princeton Rays)
- Redman carries a six-game hit streak into this week while batting .333 (7-for-21) last week with five runs, four RBI and a stolen base. Redman is batting .298 (36-for-121) with 28 runs, eight doubles, two triples, two home runs and 18 RBI this season in 32 games. Redman played two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 23rd round by the Tampa Bay Rays.