Broyles struck out eight in six innings last week while earning the win
Aug. 13, 2012
LUBBOCK, Texas -
The Texas Tech baseball program started the 2012 Major League Baseball season with several former players on MLB rosters and on Minor League Baseball teams trying to reach the big leagues.
Currently, there are 26 former Texas Tech players who are playing with an MLB organization as a player. Throughout the remainder of the 2012 MLB season, Texas Tech athletics communications will provide weekly updates on former Red Raiders competing at the major league and minor league level.
Dallas Braden (LHP - Starting Pitcher - Oakland Athletics)
- Braden, who missed the majority of the 2011 season following shoulder surgery, suffered a setback to his return to pitching for the Athletics with a left shoulder injury at the end of March that has resulted in Braden being placed on the 60-day disabled list. Braden is expected to join the team this season. He has not pitched in a game since April 16, 2011. Braden pitched one season for Tech in 2004 and was drafted in 2004 in the 24th round by the Oakland Athletics.
Jeff Karstens (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Karstens is 4-2 this season with the Pirates with a 3.77 ERA in 11 starts with 62 innings, 46 strikeouts and 13 walks allowed. Karstens pitched one season at Tech in 2003 and was drafted in 2003 in the 19th round by the New York Yankees.
Josh Tomlin (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Cleveland Indians)
- Tomlin made a pair of relief appearances last week for the Tribe with a 3.1 inning outing at home against Minnesota (Aug. 6) allowing three earned runs on three hits. He also pitched 1.1 innings last night allowing seven earned runs on five hits with two walks and a strikeout. Tomlin is 5-8 this season with a 6.36 ERA in 21 appearances (16 starts) with 103.1 innings, 56 strikeouts and 25 walks allowed. Tomlin pitched one season at Tech in 2006 and was drafted in 2006 in the 19th round by the Cleveland Indians.
Josh Bard (C - Los Angeles Dodgers - Triple-A - Albuquerque Isotopes)
- Bard played in two games last week going 1-for-3 with a double on Aug. 8 and tallying an RBI going 1-for-1 on Aug. 10. Bard is batting .295 (36-for-122) with 13 runs, five doubles, five home runs and 26 RBI in 38 games. Bard was a three-time All-America catcher at Texas Tech for three seasons, 1997-1999, and was drafted in 1999 in the third round by the Colorado Rockies.
Colt Hynes (LHP - Relief Pitcher - San Diego Padres - Triple-A - Tucson Padres)
- Hynes suffered the loss in his only appearance last week going 1.2 innings in a start against Omaha yesterday allowing five earned runs on nine hits. He is 6-9 this season with a 6.16 ERA in 27 appearances (19 starts) with 111 innings, 65 strikeouts and 26 walks. Hynes pitched two seasons at Tech, 2006-07, and was drafted in 2007 in the 31st round by the San Diego Padres.
Roger Kieschnick (RF - San Francisco Giants - Triple-A - Fresno Grizzlies)
- Kieschnick has been on the disabled list since the end of May after crashing into the outfield wall and suffering a shoulder injury. He started off the season on fire batting .319 (65-for-204) in 51 games with 12 doubles, four triples and 14 home runs with 37 RBI. In fact, during the 10 games before his injury, Kieschnick had four multi-hit games and four home runs, including a 4-for-5 performance with two homers and six RBI on May 23. Kieschnick was a three-year starter for Tech, 2006-08, and was drafted in 2008 in the third round by the San Francisco Giants.
Zach Stewart (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Boston Red Sox - Triple-A - Pawtucket Red Sox)
- Stewart made two starts last week going 1-1. He earned the win pitching five scoreless innings allowing three hits with four strikeouts and a walk on Aug. 6. Stewart then suffered the loss pitching three innings allowing three runs on five this with two strikeouts yesterday. He is 3-3 this season with a 3.69 ERA in nine starts with 46.1 innings with 33 strikeouts and 11 walks allowed. Stewart pitched one season at Tech in 2008 and was drafted in 2008 in the third round by the Cincinnati Reds.
Chad Bettis (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Colorado Rockies - Double-A - Tulsa Drillers)
- Bettis has not made an appearance this season while rehabbing a shoulder injury suffered in spring training. Bettis was named the California League Pitcher of the Year in 2011 while earning California League Mid and Postseason All-Star recognition. MLB.com named Bettis the organization's No. 3 prospect entering the season. Bettis pitched three years at Tech, 2008-10, and was drafted in 2010 in the second round by the Colorado Rockies.
AJ Ramos (RHP - Relief Pitcher - Miami Marlins - Double-A - Jacksonville Suns)
- Ramos has continued his impressive year with three scoreless outings last week while picking up the save with 1.2 scoreless innings last Wednesday with three strikeouts. On the week Ramos made three appearances with four innings pitched, two hits allowed and seven strikeouts without allowing a walk. He is 3-1 this season with a 0.77 ERA in 48 appearances with 17 saves, 58.2 innings with 73 strikeouts and 18 walks allowed. Ramos pitched four years at Tech, 2006-09, and was drafted in 2009 in the 21st round by the Florida Marlins.
James Leverton (LHP - Relief Pitcher - Miami Marlins - Double-A - Jacksonville Suns)
- Leverton made two relief outings last week while allowing just one run in a total of four innings. He pitched two scoreless innings on Aug. 10 and followed with two innings pitched with one run allowed and one strikeout on Aug. 12. He is 4-2 this year with a 3.49 ERA in 26 appearances (5 starts) with one save, 56.2 innings, 57 strikeouts and 20 walks allowed. Leverton pitched three years at Tech, 2006-08, and was drafted in 2008 in the 8th round by the Chicago Cubs.
Bobby Doran (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Houston Astros - Double-A - Corpus Christi Hooks)
- Doran, after being named a California League All-Star in the first half of the season, was promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi on June 22. Doran is 11-6 in all minor league action this summer with a 4.53 ERA in 23 starts. He has pitched 135 innings with 90 strikeouts and 39 walks allowed. Doran pitched one season at Tech in 2010 and was drafted in 2010 in the third round by the Houston Astros.
Jay Johnson (LHP - Philadelphia Phillies - Double-A (Advanced) - Reading Phillies)
- Johnson made two appearances last week - both times allowing at least one run while tallying two no decisions. He is 1-1 this year with a 3.25 ERA in 26 appearances with 27.2 innings, 32 strikeouts and 17 walks allowed. Johnson pitched one year at Tech in 2010 and was drafted in 2010 in the 26th round by the Toronto Blue Jays.
Nathan Karns (RHP - Washington Nationals - Single-A (Advanced) - Potomac Nationals)
- Karns, who has twice been named the Carolina Pitcher of the Week this season, had his streak of eight consecutive wins (decisions) snapped last week with a loss on Wednesday. He pitched two innings, allowed five runs (3 ER) on five hits with three strikeouts and three walks allowed. Karns is 11-3 this year with a 2.05 ERA in 23 appearances (17 starts) with two complete games, two saves, 110 innings, 138 strikeouts and 45 walks allowed. His last 10 starts (last two months), Karns is 8-1 with a 1.37 ERA with 68 strikeouts and 17 walks allowed. Karns pitched two years at Tech, 2008-09, and was drafted in 2009 in the 12th round by the Washington Nationals.
Daniel Coulombe (LHP - Relief Pitcher - Los Angeles Dodgers - Single-A - Great Lakes Loons)
- Coulombe was promoted to Class A Great Lakes after making three appearances at the Rookie-League level. Coulombe has averaged 15.5 strikeouts/nine innings this season with 31 strikeouts in just 18 innings pitched. Coulombe struck out eight batters on the week in two appearances while recording every out in 2.2 innings via strikeout. Coulombe is 0-1 this season with a 3.50 ERA in 16 appearances with 18 innings, 31 strikeouts and 10 walks allowed. Coulombe pitched two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 25th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Zach Fowler (LHP - Baltimore Orioles - Single-A - Delmarva Shorebirds)
- Fowler has bounced around this season from Class A Advanced Fredrick all the way to Triple-A Norfolk. He is 2-1 this season with a 3.35 ERA in 24 outings with two saves, 53.2 innings, 47 strikeouts and 18 walks allowed. Fowler pitched one year at Tech in 2011 and was drafted in 2011 in the 34th round by the Baltimore Orioles.
Robbie Kilcrease (LHP - Pittsburgh Pirates - Single-A - West Virginia Power)
- Kilcrease made two appearances last week while pitching 2.1 innings with four strikeouts without receiving a decision. He is 1-0 with a 1.35 ERA during his last 10 appearances dating back to July 14. Kilcrease is 1-2 this season with a 3.18 ERA in 37 outings. He has 56.2 innings pitched, 58 strikeouts and 23 walks allowed. Kilcrease pitched three years at Tech, 2008-09, 2011, and signed as a free agent in 2011 with the Pirates.
Jeremy Mayo (C - Washington Nationals - Single-A - Hagerstown Suns)
- Mayo was recently placed on the disabled list. He is batting .196 (9-for-46) with five runs, four doubles, two RBI and has played in 18 games on the season. Mayo played three years at Tech, 2008-2010, and was drafted in 2010 in the 31st round by the Washington Nationals.
Kelby Tomlinson (SS - San Francisco Giants - Single-A - Augusta GreenJackets)
- Tomlinson picked up a pair of multi-hit games early last week going 2-for-5 and then 2-for-4 with two runs a double and an RBI. Tomlinson is batting .227 (88-for-387) with 51 runs, seven doubles, four triples, one home run and 33 RBI with 32-of-41 stolen bases. Tomlinson ranks eighth in the league in stolen bases. Tomlinson played one year at Tech in 2011 and was drafted in 2011 in the 12th round by the San Francisco Giants.
Duke von Schamann (RHP - Starting Pitcher - Los Angeles Dodgers - Single-A - Great Lakes Loons)
- von Schamann made one start last week earning the win in a five-inning performance with three strikeouts. He is 4-3 this season with a 3.00 ERA in 11 appearances (9 starts) with one complete game, 54 innings, 26 strikeouts and eight walks allowed. von Schamann pitched two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 14th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Barrett Barnes (CF - Pittsburgh Pirates - Short-Season-A - State College Spikes)
- Barnes was named to the New York-Penn League All-Star team last week. He is batting .288 (36-for-125) with 16 runs, six doubles, five home runs, 24 RBI and 17 walks with 10-of-16 stolen bases in 38 games. Barnes went on the disabled list at the end of July following a lower-leg injury and will miss the remainder of the season. Barnes played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the supplemental first round by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Shane Broyles (RHP - Colorado Rockies - Short-Season-A - Tri-City Dust Devils)
- Broyles was dominating during his one start last week (Thursday) going six innings allowing one run (unearned) on three hits with eight strikeouts in the win. He is now 4-2 with a 2.72 ERA in nine games (7 starts) with 46.1 innings, 38 hits allowed, 44 strikeouts and eight walks given up. Broyles pitched one year at Tech in 2012 and was drafted in 2012 in the 14th round by the Colorado Rockies.
Jamodrick McGruder (2B/LF/CF - Seattle Mariners - Short-Season-A - Everett AquaSox)
- McGruder remains the top base stealer in the Northwest League with a league-leading 24 stolen bases in 28 attempts. The next closest in terms of stolen bases in the league has 14. He is batting .241 (47-for-195) this season with 30 runs, nine doubles, one triple, 13 RBI, and has 30 walks and 30 stolen bases. McGruder played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the ninth round by the Seattle Mariners.
John Neely (RHP - Relief Pitcher - Houston Astros - Short-Season-A - Tri-City ValleyCats)
- Neely made two appearances last week recording a save and a no decision in five innings of work with four strikeouts. Neely is 0-0 with a 3.14 ERA in 14 appearances with two saves, 28.2 innings pitched, 20 strikeouts and has allowed just six walks. Neely pitched three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 30th round by the Houston Astros.
Rusty Shellhorn (LHP - Starting Pitcher - Seattle Mariners - Short-Season-A - Everett AquaSox)
- Shellhorn earned the win last week in a six-inning start against Boise allowing just two runs on five this with six strikeouts. Shellhorn is 3-2 this season with a 2.64 ERA in nine appearances (8 starts) with 44.1 innings, 51 strikeouts and 10 walks allowed. He makes a homecoming tonight as the AquaSox play in Spokane, Wash., he will start for Everett. Shellhorn pitched one year at Tech in 2012 and was drafted in the 31st round by the Seattle Mariners.
Bo Altobelli (C - Minnesota Twins - Rookie League - Elizabethton Twins)
- Altobelli is coming off his top offensive performance as a pro while going 4-for-4 with a run scored last Thursday. Altobelli is batting .208 (10-for-48) with six runs, two doubles, five RBI and three walks in 13 games played. Altobelli played three years at Tech, 2010-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 21st round by the Minnesota Twins.
Reid Redman (2B - Tampa Bay Rays - Rookie League - Princeton Rays)
- Redman is batting .266 (46-for-173) this season with 31 runs, 10 doubles, two triples, two home runs and 21 RBI in 44 games. Redman played two years at Tech, 2011-12, and was drafted in 2012 in the 23rd round by the Tampa Bay Rays.