Gutierrez homered to give the Black Team a two-run lead in the eighth inning
Oct. 27, 2013
LUBBOCK, Texas -
Five players had at least one hit and four players tallied at least one RBI for the Black Team in Saturday's game four series-clinching victory, 5-4, in the annual Texas Tech baseball Red & Black Series at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park.
The victory gives the Black Team the series title while game five will be played on Sunday at 2 p.m. for the final day of team practice for the Red Raiders in their fall campaign.
Sophomore right-handed pitcher Brock Hunt (1-0) picked up the win in relief throwing 1.1 scoreless innings with two strikeouts. Red Team starting pitcher Matt Withrow (0-1) suffered the loss allowing three runs (2 ER) on three hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
Junior reliever Corey Taylor picked up the save pitching the final two innings allowing just one run with a strikeout and a walk.
The Black Team tallied three runs - two earned - in the second inning with a pair of RBI base hits and a run-scoring fielder's choice.
Left fielder Anthony Lyons started the inning with a bunt base hit and scored a batter later on junior catcher Hunter Redman's RBI triple to tie the game, 1-1.
Red Team catcher Mason Randolph scored the game's first run in the bottom of the first inning with an RBI double to right field scoring leadoff hitter and shortstop Tim Proudfoot (2-for-4).
Later in the second, freshman right fielder Stephen Smith drove in Redman with an RBI single and later scored on sophomore third baseman Alec Humphreys' RBI fielder's choice.
Black Team starting pitcher Cameron Smith took a no decision despite pitching 3.2 innings allowing just one run on one hit with two strikeouts and four walks allowed.
The Black Team took a 4-1 lead in the top of the seventh on center fielder Heath Herrington's RBI single, which scored Stephen Smith who walked earlier in the inning. Smith went 1-for-3 while Herrington went 1-for-2.
Sophomore first baseman Eric Gutierrez put the finishing touches on the series-clinching win for the Black Team with a towering solo home run in the top of the eighth inning.
Red Team second baseman Bryant Burleson scored a pair of runs for the Red squad in the seventh with a two-run RBI single to left field scoring both Zach Davis (walked) and Proudfoot (singled).
Randolph went 2-for-5 for the Red Team joining Proudfoot with multiple hits.
The Red & Black Series will come to a close on Sunday, Oct. 27 with a first pitch scheduled for 2 p.m. for the fifth and final game of the series. The game will be played at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park and admission is free.
Fans who aren't able to make it to the ballpark for the Red & Black Series finale on Sunday can follow all of the action live on Twitter (@TechGameday) and while using the hashtag: #RedBlackSeries.
- First Pitch: 1:01 p.m.
- Time of Game: 2 hours, 34 minutes.
- Temperature: 73 degrees.
- The Red Team now has 47 hits in four games while recording at least nine hits in each game.
- Black Team RHP Corey Taylor is the only pitcher on either team with both a win and a save in the series.
- Red Team 2B Bryant Burleson is now 7-for-16 with three runs, two walks and six RBI in four games.
- The Black Team didn't have any batter with multiple hits but had five players with at least one hit and four players with at least one RBI.
- Eight players have scored at least one run for the Black Team in the series while seven players have scored at least two runs.
- Hunter Redman and Anthony Lyons are the only two players on the Black Team that have hit safely in both games of the series... Redman is 5-for-16 while Lyons is 5-for-14.
- Five members of the Red Team have hit safely in each game, including Burleson (7-for-16, .438), Matt Broadbent (7-for-18, .389), Tim Proudfoot (7-for-18, .389) and Mason Randolph (5-for-14, .357).
- Black Team right-handed pitcher Nick Pettus made his team-leading third appearance of the series (2.0 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 H, 1 SO, 3 BB).
- Red Team right-handed pitcher Matt Riney made his team-leading third appearance of the series (0.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 SO, 0 BB).
Red & Black Series Dates/Times/Results:
Game 1: Black Team defeats Red Team, 4-3 (Black Team Leads Series, 1-0)
Game 2: Red Team defeats Black Team, 15-6 (Series is Tied, 1-1)
Game 3: Black Team defeats Red Team, 10-6 (Black Team Leads Series, 2-1)
Game 4: Black Team defeats Red Team, 5-4 (Black Team Clinches Series, 3-1)
Game 5: Sunday, Oct. 27 - 2 p.m.