Oct. 28, 2010
Photo Gallery | Series Stats | Post-Game Interviews
LUBBOCK, Texas -
The Red Team defeated the Black Team 8-7 in the fifth and final game of the Texas Tech Baseball Red & Black Series Thursday evening at Dan Law Field. The Black Team won the annual series 3-2, following victories in games two, three and four.
- Game 5 was a five-inning contest.
- Both teams used multi-run innings to plate runs as the Red Team plated three in the first, two in the third and three in the fifth while the Black Team scored five in the third and two in the fourth.
- The Black Team took a 7-5 lead in the fourth inning on a two-run double to left field by junior left fielder Scott LeJeune. The Red Team ended the game with three runs in the fifth as shortstop Reid Redman connected on a two-run homer, Barrett Barnes doubled off the left-field wall and then scored the winning run on third baseman Stephen Hagen's sacrifice fly to right field.
- Both teams started pitchers who entered with wins in the Red & Black Series as John Neely started for the Red Team and Jerad McCrummen got the start for the Black Team. Neely tossed 2.1 innings allowing four runs on four hits as McCrummen allowed three runs on five hits in 2.0 innings of work.
- Reid Redman and David Paiz each hit home runs. A total of 10 home runs were hit in the Red & Black Series by seven players. Barrett Barnes (3) and Duke von Schamann (2) were the only players to hit more than one.
Winning Pitcher: RHP Joe Burnett (1-0)
Losing Pitcher: RHP Trey Masek (0-1)
Red Team Leading Hitters:
- SS Reid Redman: 3-for-4 (2B, HR, 3 RBI)
- CF Barrett Barnes: 2-for-2 (2B, R, RBI, SB, BB, SAC)
- 2B Jamodrick McGruder: 2-for-2 (2 R, 2 BB)
- C Kevin Whitehead: 1-for-3 (2B, 3 RBI)
Black Team Leading Hitters:
- RF David Paiz: 1-for-3 (R, HR, 3 RBI)
- CF Jordan Lopez: 1-for-3 (2B, 2 RBI)
- 1B Duke von Schamann: 2-for-2 (R, BB)
- LF Scott LeJeune: 1-for-3 (2B, 2 RBI)
Texas Tech Baseball Red & Black Series:
Game 1: Red defeated Black, 16-4
Game 2: Black defeated Red, 8-7
Game 3: Black defeated Red, 8-5
Game 4: Black defeated Red, 7-5
Game 5: Red defeated Black, 8-7