Notes & Quotes From KU Win
February 13, 1999
Texas Tech vs. Kansas Men's Basketball
Texas Tech Guard Rayford Young
Texas Tech center Andy Ellis
Texas Tech coach James Dickey
Kansas Coach Roy Williams
Texas Tech Game Notes
* Young's 18-for-18 performance from the free throw line ties for the best-ever percentage in a single game at Texas Tech and is the most consecutive free throws made in a single game. His 18 free throws is a single-game school record and ties Jaquay Walls for the most for a player in a single game this season. Young's performance was the fourth perfect game this season for a Red Raider with at least seven makes ... His 18 free throw attempts is the fourth-most for a Red Raider in a single-game.
* Young has a current streak of 29-straight free throws, one short of the school record of 30-straight. Stan Bonewitz connected on 29-straight during the 1996-97season.
* Texas Tech's win over 24th-ranked Kansas is the first win for a Red Raider men's basketball team over a ranked opponent since a 111-101 win over Fresno State in Las Vegas on 12/21/96.
* Freshman Andy Ellis recorded the first double-double of his career with 12 points and a career-high 12 rebounds in his second start as a Red Raider.
* Texas Tech's 13 turnovers tied a season-low (vs. UTA, Baylor, Iowa State) ... Kansas' six turnovers was one short of the fewest for a Texas Tech opponent this season (5 by Baylor on 1-2-990 ...
* Young's 17 field goal attempts tied for the most this season in a single game by a Texas Tech player (Owens vs. Pepperdine) ... Young's five three-pointers tied a season-high ... Young's 39 minutes played was a season-high ... With the 18-for-18 free throw shooting performance, Young is shooting .884 percent from the line, which is second-best in the Big 12 ... With the 41 points, Young is now averaging 16.2 points per game on the season.
* Texas Tech is 11-2 when shooting a better field goal percentage than its opponents ... Texas Tech improved to 2-12 when shooting under .500 in a game ... The win was Tech's first in 10 games against Kansas in history.