Singletary Carries Red Raiders Past Aggies In Shocker, 88-83

Mike Singletary finished with 43 points to break the tournament scoring record of 38.

Mike Singletary finished with 43 points to break the tournament scoring record of 38.
Men's Basketball Home

Chris Beard Basketball Camp Dates Released

Men's Basketball Squares Off with LSU in 2017 SEC/Big 12 Challenge

Men’s Basketball Signs Shadell Millinghaus to Nli

NCAA.com Wire

Email this to a friend

March 11, 2009

AP Photo Gallery 

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP)--Mike Singletary single-handedly led the biggest comeback in Big 12 tournament history, scoring all 29 of Texas Tech's points during a second-half surge that pushed the Red Raiders to a 88-83 win against Texas A&M on Wednesday night.

Singletary finished with 43 points to break the tournament scoring record of 38 set by Iowa State's Marcus Fizer in 2000 against Baylor.

The last basket in Singletary's amazing stretch was a driving layup past Bryan Davis that put the Red Raiders (17-15) up 79-78 with 39.4 seconds left and erased the last part of a 21-point deficit. Alan Voskuil and John Roberson followed that with a pair of free throws apiece to push the lead to five.

Donald Sloan led the Aggies (23-9) with 22 points and Josh Carter added 15.

Davis opened the second half with a pair of free throws to put A&M ahead 50-29. Darko Cohadarevic hit back-to-back baskets to get Tech's offense off to a better start than the first half, when the Red Raiders missed their first 10 shots to fall into a 15-2 hole.

But the rally really got started once Singletary--who didn't even start the game--got rolling.

He converted Michael Prince's steal into a right-handed jam that cut the deficit to 56-44 with 13:02 remaining and soon after added a driving layup that got Tech back within single digits for the first time since the opening drought.

That started a stretch in which Singletary outscored A&M 29-18 to give Tech the lead for the first time.

He had a personal 7-0 run that got the lead down to 65-59 on a 3-pointer from the right wing with 6:08 left, and he had a chance to tie it at 67 before missing a free throw on the back end of a bonus situation.

The Red Raiders kept going back to him, though, and he finally tied the score at 75 on a 3-pointer from right in front of the bench with 1:36. That brought his teammates to their feet immediately, and it wasn't long before they had the lead to celebrate, too.




Follow us!