Jan. 17, 1998
Texas Tech vs. Texas Postgame Quotes, Notes
(On DeJuan Vasquez' defensive effort against Carr) "I don't think anybody could play Cory Carr quite as well. He's a strong defender. I thought their team defensive awareness was great. Tom had them prepared. When you are an 0-4 team (in the league) you are playing for everything you can. They are going to have a great ball club. They had to start three freshmen today. But, they will be dangerous to come in here against with Clack healthy."
- Texas tech used its third different starting lineup this season -- Carr, Bonewitz and Young have started every game. Owens has made 13 starts, Phillips 2;
- Texas Tech did not make a three-point field goal in the first half, a first for this season;
- Cory Carr was held to a season-low four points in the first half;
- Cliff Owens logged his fourth career double-double. He had a career-high 22 points with his first 20-point game today. He also had a career-high 18 rebounds against Texas;
- Texas Tech is off to its worst conference start since beginning 0-4 in 1989-90. The 1991-92 and 1992-93 conference campaigns began at 1-3;
- Cory Carr has scored in double figures in 35 consecutive games. He had scored 20 or more in six straight games until today;
- Carr played all 40 minutes for the second time this season;
- Texas Tech shot 70 percent from the free throw line for the sixth time this season and for the fifth time in the last seven games;
- Texas Tech has shot below 50 percent in its last four games and in the last seven of eight contests.