Jan. 21, 1998

Texas Tech Downs Kansas State, 79-76

Game Statistics

LUBBOCK, Texas - After losing three straight conference games, Texas Tech played what head coach James Dickey called his team's most complete half of the season in the second half Wednesday night as they outlasted Kansas State 79-76.

Cory Carr had a game high 31 points and Rayford Young hit four clutch free throws in the final 11 seconds to help the Red Raiders move to 8-7 on the season and 2-3 in Big 12 play.

"We're excited about this win," Carr said. "Kansas State is a great ball club, but we pulled together tonight. We certainly have a lot of things we want to get better at, but overall we had a decent second half. We withstood their run and then we had a run of our own."

The Wildcats took a nine point lead early on in the second half, but five straight points by Stan Bonowitz, who had 14 points in the game and was four of six from beyond the arch, got Tech to within two at 43-41 with just under 15 minutes to play.

And then the Raider inside game kicked in. Cliff Owens scored all of his 12 points in the second half and dunks by Owens and Da'Mon Roberts ignited the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum crowd. The success of the Raider post players helped to loosen up Carr and Bonowitz who each had key three pointers down the stretch.

"Cliff made some huge baskets," Carr said. "He played like a man down low and you have to have a good game both inside and outside to be successful."

Aaron Swartzendruber led Kansas State with 21 points, but the Wildcats leading scorer Manny Dies was held to 13 points as he and his teammates in the low post were frustrated at times by double teams in the paint.

"You can't win with Shawn (Rhodes) and Manny (Dies) going 9-28 from the floor," Wildcat Coach Tom Asbury said. "We had our opportunities and we didn't make any plays and we didn't have an answer to Carr."

The Red Raiders will now to prepare to play the #3 ranked Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence on Saturday.


Follow us!