Nov. 15, 1997

Raiders Shut Down Oklahoma State, 27-3

STILLWATER, Okla. - Ty Ardoin had a 50-yard interception for a touchdown and Ricky Williams and Adrian Ervins had scoring runs as Texas Tech threw a monkey wrench into the Big 12 Conference South Division race with a 27-3 pasting of 21st-ranked Oklahoma State.

Tony Rodgers booted first-half field goals of 22 and 35 yards for the Red Raiders (6-4, 5-2 Big 12), who have already announced they will turn down any postseason bid should it win the division because of possible NCAA violations in the athletic program. Texas Tech is one half-game ahead of Texas A&M, which is at Oklahoma later.

The win temporarily gives Texas Tech first place in the South Division. The Red Raiders close their season at home against Oklahoma.

The loss left Oklahoma State (7-3, 4-3) in dire straits. The Cowboys need Texas A&M to lose to Oklahoma and then Texas in two weeks to win the division. A three-way tie at 5-3 does Oklahoma State no good because it already lost to Texas A&M and Texas Tech.

The Cowboys have lost three of their last four games after a 6-0 start and suffered their worst loss of the season. Their other two losses came by a combined four points.

An interception by defensive back Antawn Alexander thwarted a Cowboy drive at the Texas Tech 26. The Red Raiders went 71 yards on 10 plays before the drive stalled at the Oklahoma State 4. Rogers booted a 22-yard field goal with 45 seconds left in the first quarter for a 3-0 lead.

The Red Raiders pushed the lead to 10-0 when Williams bulled in from two yards out to cap a nine-play, 56-yard drive. Texas Tech never faced a third down on the drive and were aided by a personal foul on Oklahoma State that moved the ball to the Cowboys 39.

Later in the quarter, Lindsay was hit by Texas Tech linebacker Eric Butler, who had a four-yard return to the Oklahoma State 48. Zebbie Lethridge completed two passes to Jon Hawkins for 24 yards before the drive bogged down. Rogers was successful from 35 yards out, making it 13-0 with 2:15 left in the first half.

A 22-yard field goal by Tim Sydnes 63 seconds into the fourth quarter pulled Oklahoma State within 13-3, but Hawkins returned the ensuing kickoff 73 yards to the Cowboys 5. An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty pushed the ball back 15 yards, but it didn't matter as Ervin scampered into the end zone to make it 20-3 with 13:27 to play.

Ardoin's interception return capped the scoring with 6:23 to play.

Williams finished with 91 yards on 21 carries for Texas Tech, which grounded out 187 yards on 42 carries. The Red Raiders, who forced three turnovers, held the ball for just 25:11.

Nathan Simmons had 99 yards on 21 carries for Oklahoma State, which had 150 rushing yards. Lindsay completed 9-of-13 passes for 125 yards but was intercepted twice.


Follow us!