Photos from the first day of the 2014 training camp
• Begins his third season as the defensive backs coach at Texas Tech.
• The Lubbock native joined the Texas Tech staff soon after Kliff Kingsbury was named head coach in December 2012. Prior to his return, he spent three seasons as the cornerbacks coach under Sonny Dykes at Louisiana Tech.
• In his first season at Texas Tech in 2013, he helped guide the third best pass defense in the Big 12 Conference.
• In 2012, Curtis was part of one of the best teams ever fielded at Louisiana Tech as the Bulldogs compiled a 9-3 overall record and earned its highest-ever national ranking at No. 22.
• His cornerbacks had anything but a “sophomore slump” in their second year under his direction (2011) as Louisiana Tech’s defense ranked third in the nation in both interceptions and pick-sixes. The highlight of those interceptions - and the kick-start to winning at Utah State - was Terry Carter’s 22-yard interception return for a touchdown.
• In his first season at Louisiana Tech in 2010, the Bulldogs tallied 12 interceptions as Ryan Williams led the Tech cornerbacks with two.
• Joined the Louisiana Tech staff in 2010 after serving two years at Navarro Junior College (Corsicana, Texas) where he coached the secondary.
• While at Navarro, Curtis’ teams compiled a 21-2 record, won two conference championships and were the 2009 C.H.A.M.P.S. Heart of Texas Bowl champions. Curtis’ teams were ranked first in the country in interceptions and had five all-conference honorees while he recruited the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and West Texas areas.
• Was a two-time All-American and three-time All-Big 12 safety at Texas Tech, playing for the Red Raiders when Dykes was on the Texas Tech staff. After a successful collegiate career, Curtis was drafted in the fourth round of the NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers, where he spent three seasons. After one year with the Houston Texans, Curtis played two years as the team captain for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe before returning to the United States to coach.
2000 Football News Preseason All-America ... Preseason All-Big 12 selection who was a Thorpe Award "watch list" candidate before the season ... second on team in tackles for loss with 15 ... named First Team All-Big 12 by Football News, the Dallas Morning News, The Sporting News and the Houston Chronicle ... named Second Team All-Big 12 by the league's coaches ... ranked 18th nationally in tackles per game ... had seven tackles against East Carolina ... credited with six tackles and two QB hurries at No. 1 Oklahoma ... recorded five tackles, one pass deflection and two QB hurries versus Oklahoma State ... also had a tackle for loss and returned an interception 55 yards for a score against OSU, the first interception return for a touchdown of his career ... credited with 12 tackles, including three for loss, against 20th-ranked Texas ... also deflected one pass, had one QB hurry and one sack versus the Longhorns ... made nine tackles with two pass deflections at Kansas ... also returned a fumble 38 yards versus the Jayhawks ... credited with 13 stops at 10th-ranked Kansas State ... had three tackles for loss, two pass deflections, one QB hurry and one sack versus the Wildcats ... the sack was the first of his career ... made career-high 21 tackles against top-ranked Nebraska ... had one tackle for loss and one pass deflection versus the Cornhuskers ... credited with eight tackles and one QB hurry versus Baylor ... recovered a fumble and returned it 16 yards, and deflected two passes against Baylor ... made 11 tackles at Texas A&M, including one for loss ... added eight stops versus Louisiana-Lafayette, including two for loss ... recorded two pass deflections, two QB hurries and an interception versus ULL ... had nine tackles, one pass deflection and a game-saving forced fumble in last minute against North Texas ... recorded nine stops versus Utah State, including one for loss ... made 10 tackles, including eight solo, in season-opener against New Mexico ... added one tackle for loss, a forced fumble and one pass deflection versus UNM.
1999 All-Big 12 performer who recorded a team and conference best 153 tackles, 102 tackles over last six games of season ... averaged 13.9 tackles per game ... notched career-high 20 tackle performances against Colorado and Missouri ... registered 19 stops against Iowa State and then 15 more against both Texas and Oklahoma ... 93 solo tackles leads team by 42 over next best ... Bronko Nagurski national defensive player of the week and Big 12 defensive player of the week for 20 tackles and an interception against Colorado ... returned fumble 86 yards for a TD at Missouri ... 13 tackles against Baylor ... led team lead with three interceptions after picking off a pass and breaking up another at Texas ... 47-yard interception return at Baylor set up Tech's first touchdown ... has already posted 198 tackles in 22 career games ... also had an interception and recovered a fumble against Colorado ... started all 11 games ... opened season by making 30 tackles in first two games after making 45 all of last season ... recorded three tackles for loss (-11) and six broken up passes.
1998 Saw action in all 11 games of the regular season ... finished with 45 total tackles (21 solo), deflected four passes and intercepted pass on season ... made first start and tallied a team-high 10 tackles and a game clinching interception (returned for 20 yards) versus Texas ... finished with a career-high 12 tackles (three solo) at Oklahoma ... made five tackles vs. Baylor.
High School Coronado High School in Lubbock, Texas ... played quarterback primarily ... completed 69 of 136 passes for 1,018 yards and five TDs ... also rushed for 339 yards and five TDs ... was named District 3-5A MVP and a first-team all-district selection ... led team to 7-4 record as a senior ... an All-South Plains selection by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal ... helped team to 18-6 record over two seasons ... as a junior, squad went 11-2 and was regional champions ... played defense on third down situations ... also played basketball and baseball ... High School Coach: Butch Henderson.
Personal Kevin Curtis ... born 7/28/80 in Frankfurt, Germany ... son of Joyce and Charles Curtis