Kliff Kingsbury (@TTUKingsbury) begins his third season as head coach at Texas Tech. He was named the 15th head coach in program history on Dec. 12, 2012.
• In his second season as head coach, Kingsbury led a young and inexperienced squad to a 4-8 overall record. His potent offense began to develop the balance he had been seeking, as running back DeAndre Washington became the first Red Raider to rush for over 1,000 yards in a single season since Ricky Williams did so in 1998. The Red Raider offense finished the season ranked 10th (504.1 yards-per-game) nationally while the pass offense ranked fifth (351.1 yards-per-game).
• In his first season in 2013, Kingsbury led the Red Raiders to an 8-5 overall record and a stunning 37-23 win over No. 16 Arizona State in the National University Holiday Bowl. He became just the second coach in school history to win a bowl game in his first season as the Red Raiders dismantled the heavily favored Sun Devils in San Diego. His popularity also helped revitalize the Texas Tech fan base as the Red Raiders set a new school record for average home attendance (57,933 average per game).
• Kingsbury returned to his collegiate roots after a one-year stint as offensive coordinator at Texas A&M in 2012 where he played a major role in leading freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel to the Heisman Trophy. Under his guidance, the Aggie offense finished third nationally in total offense by averaging 552.33 yards per game. The Aggies ranked 14th nationally in passing offense and 13th nationally in rushing offense, making Texas A&M one of the most balanced attacks in college football. For the second consecutive year, Kingsbury was named the national offensive coordinator of the year.
• Kingsbury made the move to Texas A&M from the University of Houston where he played a key role in the Cougars' record-setting 13-win season in 2011. The Cougars finished 2011 with a 13-1 record and posted the program's highest final BCS finish in school history (No. 19).
• Kingsbury served as co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Cougars in 2011, and was named the 2011 Offensive Coordinator of the Year by FootballScoop.com. The Cougars led the nation in total offense, passing offense and scoring in 2011, while record-setting quarterback Case Keenum placed seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting and won the Sammy Baugh Award. With Kingsbury calling the offensive plays, the Cougars averaged 599.1 total yards per game, including 450.1 through the air, while scoring over 49 points per game. The Cougars scored over 70 points in two games in 2011, and finished the season with a 30-14 win over Penn State in the TicketCity Bowl. Kingsbury was instrumental in the continued development of Keenum, who finished his illustrious career as the most prolific passer in NCAA FBS history. In his one season with Kingsbury as his QB coach, Keenum completed 428-of-604 passes for 5,631 yards and 48 touchdowns, all NCAA FBS bests.
• In his first season as quarterbacks coach at Houston in 2010, Kingsbury prepped a true freshman signal caller, David Piland, to an average of 330.1 yards passing per game, which ranked No. 3 nationally. He was named to the Sporting News Freshman All-America team.
• After a five-year professional football career, Kingsbury entered the coaching ranks in the spring of 2008 when he joined Sumlin's staff as an offensive quality control assistant. A sixth-round draft pick in 2003 by the New England Patriots, Kingsbury played for five NFL teams and also saw action in the Canadian Football League and the All-American Football League.
• Kingsbury was drafted by Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots after a record-setting career at Texas Tech. Kingsbury received multiple honors including Associated Press Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year as a quarterback for the Red Raiders. In addition, he set 39 school records, 16 Big 12 marks and 17 NCAA records during his career at Tech (1999-2002). As a senior he was awarded the Sammy Baugh Trophy, presented annually to the nation's best college quarterback.
• The first in a long line of record-setting Texas Tech quarterbacks under then-head coach Mike Leach, Kingsbury recorded more than 12,000 passing yards and total offense including over 1,000 pass completions making him only the third player in NCAA history to accomplish all three. Kingsbury also excelled in the classroom as he was one of 14 collegiate football players to receive a post-graduate scholarship from the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame as he also garnered Academic All-America Player of the Year honors in 2002.
• A native of New Braunfels, Texas, Kingsbury graduated from Texas Tech in 2001 with a bachelor's degree in management.
The 2002 Heisman Trophy Candidate
Davey O'Brien Candidate
2002 - Senior Season
Entered the season as a candidate for several awards - Heisman Trophy, Davey
O'Brien, Unitas Golden Arm ... named Big 12 Preseason Offensive Player of
the Year by a panel of media voters ... holds 39 school records, 13 Big 12
marks and seven NCAA records ... completed 83.05% (49-of-59) of his passes
at Texas A&M to break the old NCAA mark of 83.02%, set by Kentucky's Tim
Couch against Vanderbilt in 1998 (Leach was his QB coach) ... also has 1,199
career completions, passing the old mark of 1,031, set by Louisville's Chris
Redman ... passed the 10,000-yard mark in passing yardage and total offense
with his performance against Missouri ... has 12,054 passing yards, 11,918
total offense yards and 1,199 completions in career ... only third player in
NCAA history to accomplish all three ... surpassed Big 12 career passing
yardage and career total offense marks against Mississippi ... has completed
447-of-669 passes for 4,642 yards this season ... also has thrown 42
touchdown passes this season and became the Big 12's all-time touchdown
passing leader with his 61st against N.C. State ... completed 15-of-35
against Oklahoma for 187 yards and a touchdown ... directed Texas Tech to a
42-38 win over then-No. 3 Texas, passing for 473 yards and six touchdowns on
the nation's third-ranked pass defense ... completed 38-of-60 with no
interceptions ... solid performance in last outing against Oklahoma State
... finished the game with 425 passing yards, four touchdown passes and
38-of-49 passing ... completed 34-of-41 for 373 yards and three touchdowns
against Baylor ... injured his ankle early in the first quarter, but
continued through two and a half quarters before leaving the game ... passed
for 268 yards on 36-of-65 at Colorado ... did not complete a touchdown pass
for first time in 12 games ... blistered Missouri with a Big 12 and school
record 510 yards on 49-of-70 passing ... also threw five touchdown passes
... threw for 272 yards and a touchdown on 37-of-50 passing at Iowa State
... named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week for the second-straight week
(Oct. 7) for his performance against A&M ... Kingsbury shredded the nation's
third-ranked defense with a career-high 474 passing yards, five touchdowns
and 49-of-59 passing ... named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week (Sept.
30) after throwing for 407 yards and six touchdowns at New Mexico ... threw
for a school record and then-Big 12 record six touchdown passes at New
Mexico ... ... also completed 41-of-59 passes ... was 27-of-50 for 273
yards and three touchdowns against N.C. State ... also rushed for 26 yards
... completed 25-of-38 passes for 270 yards and two touchdowns in win over
Mississippi ... drove the Red Raiders 84 yards in 12 plays for a touchdown
late in the fourth quarter to put the game away ... also scored on a
two-yard sneak ... was 32-of-49 for 369 yards at SMU ... also threw for
three touchdowns ... opened the season 26-of-44 and 341 yards with three
touchdown strikes at Ohio State.
2001 - Junior Season
All-Big 12 Second Team by the coaches ... Verizon Academic All-District Team ... Associated Press Second-Team All-Big 12 ... capped off record-setting season with 39-of-47 performance against SFA ... threw for 366 yards and five touchdowns in three quarters of work ... also rushed for 32 yards ... completed 23-of-36 passes for 234 yards and a touchdown against Oklahoma ... SBC Big 12 Co-Offensive Player of the Week after turning in fourth 400-yard passing game of career with 440 yards in the air at Oklahoma State ... completed 44-of-56 passes and threw four touchdowns strikes, tying a personal mark ... registered eighth career 300-yard passing game against Texas A&M ... finished the game with 303 yards on 38-of-46 passing ... threw for 245 yards on 27-of-44 passing with two touchdown strikes at Baylor in two and a half quarters ... blasted Nebraska's top-ranked defense for 353 passing yards and a touchdown ... led the Red Raiders to 31-point performance, most points scored against NU this season also had career-best 25-yard rush ... named SBC Big 12 Player of the Week following Kansas State game ... broke a school record with his third 400-yard passing game against Kansas State with 409 yards on 32-47 passing ... also tied a personal-best with four touchdown passes against the Wildcats ... completed 23-of-37 passes against Kansas for 242 yards ... also threw three touchdown passes before leaving game at conclusion of third quarter with thumb injury ... connected on 40-of-57 passing for 260 yards at Texas ... completed 35-of-46 passes against North Texas for 286 yards and two touchdowns ... had 12-consecutive completions at one points against UNT, including hitting 18-of-19 receivers during a stretch ... threw for 364 yards against New Mexico ... also completed 30-of-49 passes and three touchdowns.
2000 - Sophomore Season
Assumed starting role after making first career start in season finale in 1999 ... threw for 307 yards on 31 completions against ECU in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl ... also threw for four touchdown passes against the Pirates, including two to Derek Dorris ... started all 12 games during his sophomore campaign ... second in Big 12 and eighth nationally in total offense with 286.4 yards per game ... first in league with 21 TD passes, 3418 yards passing and 3437 total yards ... completed 41-of-61 for 295 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions at Oklahoma ... also ran team-high 11 times for 24 yards versus the Sooners ... went 30-for-43 for 236 yards and three touchdowns versus Oklahoma State ... TD passes were 18 and six yards to Tim Baker, and eight yards to Derek Dorris ... also rushed for one touchdown on QB draw against OSU on season-long run of 22 yards ... completed 28-of-49 for 282 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions against 20th-ranked Texas ... included in total was 39-yard toss to Carlos Francis and 43-yard strike to Wes Welker ... had four touchdown passes, all to Dorris, and completed 32-of-48 for 405 yards and no interceptions at Kansas ... TD passes were 5, 2, 11 and 12 yards versus the Jayhawks ... completed 29-of-60 for 302 yards, two interceptions and one touchdown at 10th-ranked Kansas State ... TD was one-yard strike to Dorris just before halftime ... also had 19-yard run versus Wildcats ... threw for season-low 165 yards on 20-of-37 versus top-ranked Nebraska ... tossed pair of touchdowns and completed 33-of-50 attempts versus Baylor ... TD passes were 14 and 6 yards, both to Dorris ... Baylor contest was his first without an interception this season ... also rushed four times for 42 yards versus the Bears ... completed 28-of-50 for 291 yards and two touchdowns at Texas A&M ... pair of TD passes went to Tim Baker on 13- and 15-yard strikes ... against Louisiana-Lafayette, went 24-for-37 with one touchdown and two interceptions ... scoring toss was two yards, also to Baker ... also rushed nine times for seven yards versus ULL ... completed 42-of-55 for 238 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions versus North Texas ... six-yard TD pass also went to Baker ... rushed seven times for 15 yards against UNT ... set school-record for yards passing in a game versus Utah State, going 34-of-48 for 456 yards and three scores ... Tossed one interception against USU ... scoring tosses were 19 yards to Darrell Jones, five yards to Ricky Williams and 45 yards to Francis ... also had one-yard quarterback sneak for TD versus USU for first Tech touchdown of contest ... completed 21-of-47 for 186 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in lidlifter versus New Mexico ... TD passes were six yards to Ricky Williams and eight yards to Dorris ... named to Academic All-Big 12 First Team ... named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for fall semester with a 4.0 grade point average.
1999 - Freshman Season
Played in six games, starting one ... served in backup role most of season ... started last game of year against Oklahoma due to injury to Rob Peters ... completed 25 of 57 passes for 492 yards and four touchdowns ... had biggest game of career against Oklahoma by completing 9 of 17 pass attempts for 259 yards and three touchdowns ... completed career-best 75 yard pass vs. Sooners ... was 7 of 12 for 102 yards and a touchdown in mopup role at Oklahoma State ... was 5 of 19 for 87 yards after coming off bench against Texas ... also scored one rushing touchdown ... named to Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
1998 - Redshirt Season
Redshirted ... named to Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
New Braunfels High School in New Braunfels, Texas ... passed for 3,009 yards and 34 touchdowns while leading team to Class 5A Division II semifinals as a senior ... led team to 13-2 record which included six come-from-behind wins ... completed 216 of 341 pass attempts with only eight interceptions as a senior ... named to state "Top 100" by Lubbock Avalanche-Journal ... selected as offensive most valuable player in Texas High School Coaches All-Star Game after leading South team to 48-10 victory ... passed for 116 yards and three touchdowns in all-star game ... San Antonio area offensive player of the year ... also lettered in baseball, basketball and track ... academic all-state choice and graduated third in a class of 450 ... National Honor Society treasurer ... High School Coach: Tim Kingsbury.
Kliff Kingsbury ... son of Tim and Sally Kingsbury ... born August 9, 1979, in San Antonio, Texas ... father was high school coach ... received a degree in management in December 2001.