Davis Webb passed for 374 yards and four touchdowns for Texas Tech
Tech leads the Big 12 in average student attendance
Red Raider Loyalty Drives Tech Staff Home
Of the 10 assistant coaches, five have degrees from Texas Tech University
• Begins his third season at Texas Tech where he serves as co-defensive coordinator and coaches the defensive line.
• A 2004 graduate of Texas Tech, returned to his alma mater in 2013 after a stint with the NFL’s New York Jets. A Lubbock native, Smith found his way home after spending one season as the outside linebackers coach and two years as a coaching intern with the Jets.
• Served as the interim defensive coordinator for the final nine games of the 2014 season. Under his guidance, junior Pete Robertson led the Big 12 Conference in sacks (12).
• In 2013, the Red Raider defense nearly doubled its turnover production from the previous season and featured three players with 70-plus tackles.
• With the Jets in 2012, Smith’s linebackers recorded nine of the team’s 30 sacks while Calvin Pace finished seventh on the team with 55 total tackles.
• Under his guidance in 2011, free agent acquisition Aaron Maybin led the Jets with six sacks and four forced fumbles in only 13 games of action.
• Prior to his time with the Jets, Smith was the linebackers coach at the University of Hawaii for one season.
• A product of Lubbock Coronado High School, Smith enjoyed a stellar career at Texas Tech in which he made 45 career starts and played in 50 games. Smith’s career culminated with an upset victory over then No. 4 California in the Holiday Bowl in his senior season. As a senior, he led the Red Raiders with 83 total tackles and earned All-Big 12 Honorable Mention accolades.
• Drafted by the Baltimore Ravens and played two seasons (2005-2006) before his career was cut short by injuries.
• Married to the former Emily Fitzpatrick. The couple has a son, Weston.
Big, bruising linebacker in his fourth season as a starter ... tied for the team lead with 31 career starts ... moved to WILL linebacker from MIKE during spring practice ... solid player against the run and has the knack to quickly learn a quarterback's instincts ... solid honors candidate.
2003 - Second on the team with 10 tackles for loss ... also had 42 tackles and three sacks ... Navy - had five tackles and one for loss in the bowl win ... also registered a pass breakup ... Oklahoma - four tackles in the game ... Texas - made a stop against the Longhorns ... Baylor - had two tackles, including one for a six-yard loss ... Colorado - five tackles in the win over CU ... Missouri - two tackles, including one for loss, against the Tigers ... Texas A&M - registered third sack of the season against Texas A&M ... also recorded two tackles ... Mississippi - finished the Mississippi game with four tackles and a sack ... three tackles, including one and a half for loss, at N.C. State ... New Mexico - six tackles, including one for loss, in win over New Mexico ... SMU - led the team with eight tackles, including six solo, in season opener against SMU ... also had a sack and two tackles for loss.
2002 - Fourth on the team with 104 tackles ... Clemson - seven tackles and second interception of the season in the Tangerine Bowl ... Oklahoma - had five tackles against Oklahoma ... Oklahoma State - played sparingly against Oklahoma State after injuring ankle in win over Baylor ... still recorded three tackles ... Baylor - finished game with six tackles, including one for loss ... Missouri - 11 tackles and first-career interception ... also had five tackles and a quarterback hurry against the Tigers ... Iowa State - turned in a season and career-high 14 tackles ... also had two quarterback pressures ... Texas A&M - had seven stops and a pass breakup at A&M ... New Mexico - eight tackles against the Lobos ... N.C. State - six tackles and one for loss ... Mississippi - had 10 tackles and a sack in win over Ole Miss ... SMU - logged eight stops and a quarterback hurry at SMU ... Ohio State - opened the season with 11 tackles and a tackle for loss against the Buckeyes.
2001 - All-Big 12 Honorable Mention by the coaches ... All-Big 12 Freshman Team ... Iowa - made four and a half tackles against Iowa in the Alamo Bowl ... Stephen F. Austin - logged 13 tackles against SFA, including a sack ... Oklahoma - eight tackles against OU ... Oklahoma State - had three tackles at OSU ... Texas A&M - registered 12 stops in shutout against the Aggies ... Baylor - logged 10 tackles and first-career sack at Baylor ... Nebraska - career-high and team-high 18 tackles in second-career start at Nebraska ... combined with Ryan Aycock for 33 stops against the Huskers ... Kansas State - nine tackles in first-career start against the Wildcats.
2000 - Redshirt season.
High School - Coronado High School in Lubbock, Texas ... named all-state and District 3-5A defensive player of the year ... named defensive player of the year by Lubbock Avalanche-Journal ... named to Avalanche-Journal South Plains Top 20, All-City and Class 5A-4A All-South Plains Team ... named to Associated Press Sports Editors All-State team ... two-time district player of the year ... recorded 182 tackles as a senior ... had two 28-tackle games and five 20-tackle games as a senior ... also had five interceptions as a senior ... High School Coach: Butch Henderson.
Personal - Mike Smith ... son of Marty Gregory and Dan Smith ... born September 2, 1981, in Lubbock, Texas ... has a twin sister, Meredith, and older brother, Daniel ... majoring in communication studies.