Houston, Texas, Friday, Dec, 28, 8 p.m. CT
The Texas Tech Athletics Communications team will be bringing you daily updates from the activites surrounding the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas. The Red Raiders will face the Minnesota Golden Gophers at 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 28 at Reliant Stadium in Houston. Tickets are available for immediate purchase at www.texastech.com.
Anticipation continues to mount in Houston as the Red Raiders held their final workout of the 2012 season earlier today in preparation of the upcoming Meineke Car Care Bowl against Minnesota.
Texas Tech’s journey to Friday’s game began on August 4 with the first official workout of the season and ended on a cold, blustery morning inside Rice Stadium as the Red Raiders held their final team practice of the year. Texas Tech will hold a brief walk-through on Thursday afternoon at Reliant Stadium, which will also include taking the official team photo for the 2012 season.
Today’s practice covered 14 periods with a heavy focus on special teams and game situations.
After having the afternoon off, the Red Raiders took part in the Rodeo Bowl at the George Ranch Historical Park. The evening featured both teams taking part in rodeo related competitions along with a barbecue and live band.
Texas Tech and Minnesota will take part in a bowl sponsored team luncheon on Thursday afternoon followed by a news conference at the Westin Galleria hotel.
- As of Wednesday evening, Texas Tech had sold 9,300 tickets for Friday’s game against Minnesota. Tickets can be purchased online at www.texastech.com. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. on ESPN.
December 25 - Christmas Day
While Tech fans across the world were waking up to see what Santa had delivered on Christmas morning, the Red Raiders hit the practice field at Rice Stadium for a two-hour workout.
The weather conditions for today's practice were quite different than those enjoyed on Monday as strong thunderstorms moved through the Gulf Coast. Heavy rains fell during portions of practice and winds were gusty throughout. Just prior to workout, the team was enjoying photos posted on Facebook and Twitter from friends and family back in Lubbock enjoying a White Christmas.
Tech worked just over two hours and then the team was released to enjoy the remainder of the afternoon.
The festivities of Christmas Day arrived in the evening as the Red Raiders, coaches, staff and families gathered for Christmas dinner in the Westin Galleria Ballroom. A traditional Christmas dinner with all the trimmings and Christmas Carols helped set the tone for an appearance by the jolly ole man himself - Santa Claus. For the Red Raiders, it was a perfect time to celebrate the holiday season and be thankful for the blessings of 2012.
- Texas Tech will hold its final full workout on Wednesday morning at Rice Stadium. The team will workout at 10:30 a.m. A brief walk-through will be held inside Reliant Stadium on Thursday evening.
- As of Christmas morning, 9,200 tickets from Texas Tech's 12,000 allotment had been sold for the game. Fans can purchase their game tickets right now at texastech.com.
- Seniors Seth Doege and Cody Davis will play in the East/West Shrine Game on Jan. 19, at Tropicana Field in Tampa, Fla.
December 24 - Christmas Eve
Texas Tech made its official arrival into Houston on Sunday evening and immediately hit the practice field on Monday morning for the first workout of Meineke Car Care Bowl week.
The Red Raiders walked out onto the turf at Rice Stadium at 10:15 a.m. on Christmas Eve and held a two-hour workout that ended at 12:25 p.m. Rice Stadium, home of the Rice Owls, will serve as Tech's workout facility for the next couple of days. Tech will hold a 10:30 a.m. workout on Tuesday and Wednesday at Rice before holding a brief walk-through at Reliant Stadium on Thursday afternoon.
The energy at today's workout was exceptionally high and the vocal leadership from this year's senior class was noticeable. With the developments over the last two weeks, it was nice to the see the team come out focused on the first day of practice.
Tech's senior leadership will be vital this week and will be in the hands of quarterback Seth Doege (will make his 25th consecutive start on Friday) and safety Cody Davis (will make his 49th career start).
- The Red Raiders couldn't have asked for better weather on their first full day in Houston as temperatures were in the low 70s under sunny skies. A strong weather system is expected to move into the area on Tuesday and could potentially force the team to move to the Texans Indoor Practice Facility.
- Texas Tech will be without senior cornerback Cornelius Douglas, senior defensive lineman Leon Mackey and junior linebacker Chris Payne for the Meineke Car Care Bowl. The players have been suspended for a violation of team rules.
- Sophomore TE Jace Amaro has been cleared to play in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. He was cleared to practice two weeks ago but team physicians have now given clearance for him to play against Minnesota.
- Senior quarterback Seth Doege, senior lineman LaAdrian Waddle, junior receiver Eric Ward and junior defensive end Dartwan Bush addressed the media following practice.
- Tickets in Texas Tech's allotment are still available for purchase at texastech.com. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. on Friday at Reliant Stadium.