Men's Tennis Opens Spring with 6-3 Loss at New Mexico
Tylir Jimenez and Carey Biorkman notch victories
Feb. 1, 1998
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - In its first match of the 1998 spring season, the Texas Tech men's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to New Mexico at the Lobo Tennis Club Saturday in Albuquerque. The loss drops Texas Tech to 0-1 on the season.
Texas Tech won three of the nine matches. Senior Tylir Jimenez notched a 7-5, 6-2 victory over New Mexico's Takeshi Itoh at No. 5 singles, sophomore Carey Biorkman won a 6-2, 6-2 decision against UNM's Roldolfo Gisneres and the No. 2 doubles team of junior Petar Danolic and sophomore Ryan Shupe defeated UNM's Itoh and Assah Drori 8-6.
The Red Raiders are next in action at home on February 6 against Abilene Christian. The match will be played at 1:30 p.m. in the Athletic Training Center.
TEXAS TECH AT NEW MEXICO MEN'S TENNIS RESULTS (Jan. 31, 1998) Lobo Tennis Club Singles
1. Jeff Williams (UNM) def. Petar Danolic (TTU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Pepe Caballero (UNM) def. Wojtek Stasiak (TTU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nicolas Dubey (UNM) def. Adam Baranowski (TTU) 6-2, 5-4
4. Assaz Drori (UNM) def. Ryan Shupe (TTU) 6-4, 7-6
5. Takeshi Itoh (UNM) def. Tylir Jimenez (TTU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Carey Biorkman (TTU) def. Roldolfo Gisneres (UNM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Jeff Williams-Pepe Caballero (UNM) def. Doug Lacy-Tylir Jimenez (TTU) 8-6
2. Petar Danolic-Ryan Shupe (TTU) def. Takeshi Itoh-Assaf Drori (UNM) 8-6
3. Chris Biorkman-Nicolas Dubey (UNM) def. Carey Biorkman-Adam Baranowski (TTU) 8-6