Lady Raiders Tip Off Season At Arizona State
Nov. 10, 2012
- Texas Tech opens the season on the road for the first time since 2010-11 when the Lady Raider opened the season at New Mexico with an 80-53 win.
- Texas Tech is 8-8 all-time in season openers on the road.
- Kristy Curry is is a perfect 3-0 in season openers on the road at Texas Tech.
- This is the first meeting between Texas Tech and Arizona State since the Lady Raiders beat the Sun Devils 73-69 in Lubbock.
- This is the first meeting between the two teams in Arizona since Texas Tech and Arizona State played an outdoor game at Chase Field in Phoenix on Dec. 18, 2006. The game was called with 4:18 remaining because of rain and slippery condition on the court as Arizona State left with a 61-45 win, in what was considered a home game for the Sun Devils.
- Texas Tech is 0-2 all-time in Arizona against the Sun Devils.
PLAYER TO WATCH: Casey Morris - SR - G - BAY AREA, CALIF.
Morris returns as the team's leading scorer from last season, averaging 10.1 points per game in 2011-12. She also led the team in 3-pointers with 56 and was second on the team in steals (77). Morris also led the the team with an .836 free-throw percentage last season and was only one of two players to start all 35 games in 2011-12. She enters the 2012-13 seson with 840 career points.
Texas Tech head coach Kristy Curry needs only 12 wins to reach 300 career wins. Curry is 288-138 all-time in 13 seasons and 109-87 is six seasons at Texas Tech.
Junior transfer forward Jackie Patterson was named the Big 12 Conference Preseason Newcomer of the Year in October. Patterson is beginning her first season at Texas Tech after two seasons at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. She was a two-time NJCAA All-American and led the Lady Dragons to a 30-1 record and appearance in the NJCAA National Championship game last season.
IN THE PARADE
Texas Tech freshman guard Minta Spears was honored as a 2011-12 PARADE Magazine All-American prior to arrving on campus at Texas Tech in June. Spears set numerous records at Bullard (Tex.) HS, including 2,879 points, 375 3-pointers, 776 assists and 475 rebounds. She led the state of Texas in point-average last season with 33.7 per game and hit 86 percent from the free-throw line.
GOING FOR 1,000
Casey Morris 860
Monique Smalls 700
Chynna Brown 680
Senior guard Monique Smalls has started all 101 of 101 games in the past three seasons at Texas Tech, trying to become the only the second Lady Raider to start every game in all four seasons since former All-American Erin Grant. Grant started all 128 games from 2002-06.
COOK-TAYLOR OUT FOR SEASON
Freshman guard Ivonne Cook-Taylor suffered a season-ending knee injury in October and will redshirt this season for Texas Tech.
NOBLES OUT INDEFINITELY
Texas Tech junior forward Shauntal Nobles is out indefinitely after being diagnosed with an illness last week. Nobles will undergo treatments over the next two weeks and is expected to make a full recovery.
Official Gear of the