Tech Ends in Scoreless Draw at Oklahoma State

Texas Tech posted its fifth shutout in six matches Sunday in a scoreless draw at Oklahoma State.

Sept. 29, 2013

Box Score   |   Postgame Notes

STILLWATER, Okla. - In the final match of a six-game road swing, No. 15 Texas Tech and Oklahoma State ended in a scoreless draw after two extra periods of play at the Cowgirl Soccer Complex Sunday.

With the draw, the Red Raiders move to 10-1-1 on the season and 1-0-1 in Big 12 play after the first full weekend of conference action. The draw comes after Tech took a 2-1 decision over Iowa State in Ames Friday night.

"We were disappointed to have not brought our best start to the game," head coach Tom Stone said. "We had to spend a lot of energy to wrestle the game back from Oklahoma State. I thought we showed great resiliency in the second half and overtime, but we just did not have enough on the day to stick one and get the win. This game was a great reminder that in conference play everything about your performance has to be at a certain level for the entire match. We have a veteran team -they will remember that going forward."

The Red Raiders went unbeaten with a 5-0-1 record allowing just one goal during the road trip, which began on Sept. 13. That stifling defense didn't let up Sunday as senior goalkeeper Victoria Esson anchored the Red Raider backline making two saves in 110 minutes of action in front of the net to earn her eighth shutout in 12 starts this season. 

The Texas Tech defense, which entered the weekend No. 11 nationally in goals-against average, shutout the Cowgirls in the first half marking the 12th-straight opponent to go scoreless in the first half against the Red Raiders.

"Today the backline had its hands full," Stone said. "Oklahoma State has the best attack we have seen this year, and I thought our defense really stood up against  them. Jade Dapaah and Bridgett Jenkins had a terrific weekend at central defense and the only goal against us over the last six road games was a well earned header on a corner kick at Iowa State."

Tech went on to outshoot the Cowgirls 7-2 in the second half, and just missed on a handful of scoring opportunities in front of the Oklahoma State net. Late in the second half a long free kick found junior Paige Strahan inside the 18-yard box where she took the feed and connected on a header that went just wide of the post.  

Sophomore Alli Murphy then just missed on a breakaway opportunity set up by Meagan McCullough and Janine Beckie, but her shot from left of the net also sailed wide of the post.

Following the scoreless regulation, the Red Raiders found themselves in their second overtime match of the season. 

Sophomore Briana Rohmer, who netted Texas Tech's game-winner in overtime against Arizona State, nearly connected on her second-game winner of the season early in the second overtime period. Following a corner kick off the foot of Caity Heap, Rohmer sent a deflected and bouncing ball near the six-yard box sailing just wide of the Cowgirl net.

Rohmer led the Texas Tech attack Sunday with a team-high four shots on the afternoon while the Red Raiders held a 3-2 advantage in shots in the two overtime periods.

Tech returns to the John Walker Soccer Complex Friday where the Red Raiders will open the home conference slate with a 7 p.m. match against TCU.




Follow us!