No. 15 Tech and No. 23 Baylor End in Scoreless Draw

Tech senior goalkeeper Victoria Esson picked up her 10th career shutout Sunday at Baylor.

Oct. 13, 2013

Box Score   |   Postgame NotesGet Acrobat Reader  video camera FSN Southwest Highlights

WACO, Texas - In the second of back-to-back Big 12 road contests, No. 15 Texas Tech and No. 23 Baylor ended in a physical scoreless draw Sunday at Betty Lou Mays Field in Waco. 

With the draw, the Red Raiders move to 13-1-2 overall and 3-0-2 in Big 12 play. Tech earns one point with the decision to remain in sole possession of third place in the Big 12 standings through Sunday. Meanwhile, the Red Raiders extend their current unbeaten streak to 12-straight matches dating back to Sept. 1.

"It was a hard fought draw," Texas Tech head coach Tom Stone said. "To see two teams go at it like that for 110 minutes really makes you appreciate the commitment both teams showed today. We weathered all of Baylor's long throws and set pieces and that's no small feat. When we did get the ball down a few of our attacks were quite promising." 

Entering Sunday’s match Baylor had surrendered just 11 points in the previous 30 games at Betty Lou Mays Field dating back to the start of the 2011 season. The Bears went undefeated at home last year with a perfect 9-0 mark. 

Tech's final conference road trip comes to a close after picking up a 2-1 victory at Oklahoma Friday night before Sunday's draw in Waco. The No. 15 Red Raiders now enter a full week off before returning to the John Walker Soccer Complex for three-straight Big 12 matches to close the regular season beginning with Kansas on Oct. 25.

In all, Texas Tech went 7-0-2 away from home, including a 2-0-2 mark in Big 12 play, this season outscoring opponents 13-2 in the process. Tech dropped five matches away from home just last season. 

"One of our big goals this season was to be an improved road team," Stone said. "I'd say we have done that." 

Sunday marked Tech's third overtime match of the season as the Red Raiders moved to 1-0-2 in games decided after regulation. In Sunday's 110-minute affair, Texas Tech and Baylor battled to a scoreless tie after 90 minutes of regulation in an even back-and-forth possession battle.

"It definitely stretches you to play at that place for 110 minutes on a Sunday," Stone said. "But we relied on our bench quite a bit. Several players gave us a lift today when we needed it." 

Tech just missed on a scoring opportunity early in the second half when sophomore Janine Beckie found fellow sophomore Caity Heap open inside the penalty box on a well-timed feed. Heap, who was named the Big 12 Player of the Week by College Sports Madness on Tuesday, beat a Baylor defender before her shot missed just wide of the Bears' net.

Beckie then later missed just wide on a header with less than two minutes remaining in regulation. Beckie ended the match with a game-high five shots on the afternoon, two of which were on goal.

The Red Raiders held a 4-3 advantage in shots in the opening half including a 2-0 advantage in shots on goal.

Meanwhile, Tech goalkeeper Victoria Esson made three saves in front of the net - all of which came after the first half including a leaping save late in regulation. The senior picked up her 10th shutout of the season which leads the Big 12. Esson has allowed just one goal in the previous five matches. 

“We will recover this week, make use of our weekend off and get ready for the stretch run of three-straight home games to close out the regular season,” Stone said. 




Follow us!