Tech's Historic Season Concludes in Tallahassee

video camera Postgame Interviews   |   Box Score

November 16, 2012

Box Score

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Texas Tech's historic 2012 season came to a close on a chilly Friday night at the Seminole Soccer Complex in the second round of the NCAA Championships.

In a fashion that has defined the relentless Red Raiders all season, Texas Tech forced overtime with less than three minutes remaining in regulation against top-seeded Florida State. But it wasn't quite enough as the Seminoles scored the game-winner in the 104th minute to take the 3-2 victory in double overtime.

"I couldn't be more proud of our effort all year," Texas Tech head coach Tom Stone said. "This team set standards and records all season, and we went toe-to-toe with one of the best teams in the country tonight. Their effort was extraordinary."

The Red Raiders made the program's debut in the NCAA Soccer Championships after advancing to the semifinals of the Big 12 Championships for the first time in school history. Texas Tech, which finished the season with a school record 16 wins, then advanced to Friday's NCAA Second Round match after defeating North Texas 2-0 at the John Walker Soccer Complex.

Trailing 2-1 with less than five minutes remaining in regulation, Texas Tech wasn't quick to go away as stellar freshman Janine Beckie tied the match on a header in the 88th minute that silenced the host crowd. It was her second of the evening as she registered her third multi-goal performance of her rookie campaign and finished the season with a team-leading 14 scores on the year.

Beckie, the Big 12 Rookie of the Year, got the Red Raiders on the board first Friday night with a goal in the 15th minute of play. The Highlands Ranch Colo., native took a feed from junior Jessica Fuston inside the box and beat Florida State goalkeeper Kelsey Wys to her left to give the Red Raiders the early 1-0 lead.

The assist was Fuston's fourth of the season.

The Red Raiders held onto 1-0 advantage until Florida State responded just before the halftime break in the 40th minute of play. Florida State sophomore Marta Bakowska-Mathews provided the equalizer that soared into top left corner of the Texas Tech goal and knotted the match at 1-1 heading into the break.

The Seminoles then took a 2-1 lead early in the second half when Tiffany McCarty connected on the first of her two goals to give the Seminoles their first lead of the match.

McCarty then gave the Seminoles the victory with her strike late in the second overtime period after Beckie forced the match into overtime in the 88th minute of play.

Texas Tech junior goalkeeper Victoria Esson made five saves on the night - four of which came in the second half.




Follow us!