Texas Tech Tops Tulane in New Orleans, 5-1
Feb. 4, 2011
LUBBOCK, TX - The Texas Tech women's tennis match with Tulane was forced indoors due to inclement weather but that did not hamper the Lady Raiders as they rolled to a 5-1 victory over the Tulane Green Wave. The match, originally scheduled to be played on the Tulane campus at the Goldring Tennis Center, was moved to the New Orleans Hilton Indoor Tennis Center.
Tulane's Mariam Kurdadze won the only match for the Green Wave with her three-set win over Elizabeth Ullathorne at No. 1 singles, 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.
Texas Tech won at each of the next four positions in two sets.
Texas Tech's Haley Fournier defeated Emma Helisten at No. 5 singles, 6-2, 6-2. At No. 4 singles, Lady Raider senior Kelsy Garland's 6-4, 6-3 win over Green Wave Elizabeth Hamlin secured the win for the visitors. Nikki Sanders won her match over Tulane's Ulster by forfeit, 1-0.
Texas Tech completes their Louisiana road trip on Saturday as they take on No. 46 Alabama with the first serve at 9 a.m.
Coach Todd Petty - "I was very pleased with our play today. I thought the players handled the move indoors and the delayed start to the matches very well. We'll need that same mental toughness tomorrow against a very solid Alabama team."
Texas Tech 5, Tulane 1 Singles
1. Mariam Kurdadze (TUL) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT), 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
2. Samantha Adams (TT) def. Emma Levy (TUL), 6-3, 6-1
3. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Lindsay Dvorak (TUL), 6-0, 6-1
4. Kelsy Garland (TT) def. Elizabeth Hamlin (TUL), 6-4, 6-3
5. Haley Fournier (TT) def. Emma Helisten (TUL), 6-2, 6-1
6. Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Ulster (TUL), 1-0, wf
Doubles - not played
Official Gear of the