Lady Raiders Fall in Conference Opener, 6-1
March 3, 2010
LUBBOCK, Texas - The Texas Tech Lady Raiders opened conference play Wednesday afternoon at the McLeod Tennis Center with a loss to No. 9 Baylor, 6-1.
Baylor's ninth-ranked women's tennis squad took the doubles point after winning at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. At the top spot, Lenka Broosova and Csilla Borsanyi stopped Kelsy Garland and Natalie Leitch, 8-1. Baylor's No. 3 doubles duo of Taylor Ormond and Karolina Filipiak downed Kerryn Potgieter and Sandra Dynka, 8-2.
Sandra Dynka lost to Baylor's Lenka Broosova at No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-0. In No. 2 singles play, Nina Secerbegovic topped Elizabeth Ullathorne 6-3, 6-2. Kelsy Garland lost to Csilla Borsanyi in No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-4. At No. 5 singles, Baylor's Karolina Filipiak downed Caroline Starck, 6-3, 6-4. The No. 6 singles match went to Baylor with Carla Lindlar's 6-3, 6-1 win over Lorena Aviles.
Playing at No. 3 singles, Lady Raider Natalie Leitch won the won the first set, 6-3. Her opponent, Taylor Ormond won the second set, 6-3.
The deciding third set was played as a ten-point tiebreaker. The points seesawed back and forth with Natalie prevailing 11-9 and gaining a point for Texas Tech.
The Lady Raiders are home for two matches, a March 19 match at 5 p.m. against Oklahoma, and on March 21 at 1 p.m. against Oklahoma State.
Baylor vs. Texas Tech
McLeod Tennis Center
Baylor 6, Texas Tech 1
1. Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Sandra Dynka (TT) 6-1, 6-0
2. Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Natalie Leitch (TT) def. Taylor Ormond (BU) 6-3, 3-6, 11-9
4. Csilla Borsanyi (BU) def. Kelsy Garland (TT) 6-2, 6-4
5. Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Caroline Starck (TT) 6-3, 6-4
6. Carla Lindlar (BU) def. Lorena Aviles (TT) 6-3, 6-1
1. Lenka Broosova/Csilla Borsanyi (BU) def. Kelsy Garland/Natalie Leitch (TT) 8-1
2. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Caroline Starck (TT) def. Nina Secerbegovic/Carla Lindlar (BU) 8-2
3. Taylor Ormond/Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Kerryn Potgieter/Sandra Dynka (TT) 8-2
Match Notes: Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,5,2,4,3)
Official Gear of the