Women's Tennis Defeats Kansas, 6-1
March 18, 2011
LUBBOCK, TX - The Texas Tech women's tennis team captured their opening conference match of the season and their sixth straight match with a 6-1 victory over the Kansas Jayhawks at the McLeod Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
Texas Tech swept the three doubles matches. Lady Raiders Elizabeth Ullathorne and Haley Fournier defeated Monica Pezzotti and Paulina Los Windom at No. 3 doubles, 8-5. Texas Tech claimed the doubles point when Kelsy Garland and Samantha Adams beat Ekaterina Morozova and Dylan Windom at the top doubles position, 8-2. Caroline Starck and Nikki Sanders completed the doubles sweep with their 8-4 win over KU's Erin Wilbert and Sara Lazarevic at the No. 2 spot.
Freshman Haley Fournier gave Texas Tech a second match point with her 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 4 singles over Jayhawk Paulina Los. Lady Raider Nikki Sanders added a third point for Tech winning her No. 6 singles match over Dylan Windom, 6-0, 6-1.
Kansas posted a point at No. 1 singles when Lady Raider Elizabeth Ullathorne retired before the second set began. Jayhawk Ekaterina Morozova had won the first set, 6-4.
Freshman Samantha Adams clinched the Texas Tech victory at No. 2 singles over Monica Pezzotti, 6-1, 6-0. Caroline Starck added another point for Tech with her two-set win over Sara Lazarevic, 6-0, 6-3. Senior Kelsy Garland completed the match scoring winning at No. 5 singles over KU's Erin Wilbert, 6-1, 6-3.
Texas Tech hosts nonconference opponent, Kentucky, on Saturday at 10 a.m. before resuming Big 12 play on Sunday, March 20 when they face Kansas State at the McLeod Tennis Center in an 11 a.m. match.
Coach Todd Petty - "It's great to win the conference opener in front of all the fans. Overall, I thought we played well in each of our doubles and singles matches this afternoon. Tomorrow we have a challenging match with Kentucky and then we have to come back to play on Sunday morning against Kansas State. The team has worked hard all week and they earned a very good win today."
Texas Tech 6 Kansas 1
Doubles (order of finish: 3,1,2)
1. Kelsy Garland/Samantha Adams (TT) def. Ekaterina Morozova/Dylan Windom (KU) 8-2
2. Caroline Starck/Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Erin Wilbert/Sara Lazarevic (KU) 8-4
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Haley Fournier (TT) def. Monica Pezzotti/Paulina Los (KU) 8-5
Singles (order of finish: 4,6,1,2,3,5)
1. Ekaterina Morozova (KU) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) 6-4, retired
2. Samantha Adams (TT) def. Monica Pezzotti (KU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Haley Fournier (TT) def. Paulina Los (KU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kelsy Garland (TT) def. Erin Wilbert (KU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Dylan Windom (KU) 6-0, 6-1