Lady Raiders Edged at No. 45 Nebraska, 4-3|
April 11, 2010
LUBBOCK, Texas - The Texas Tech Lady Raiders (7-10, 2-5 Big 12) return home with a split in their two-match road trip to Nebraska and Iowa State.
Freshmen Caroline Starck and Elizabeth Ullathorne claimed wins in each of their singles matches against the Huskers and the Cyclones. Caroline teamed with Stefanie Peana to earn a victory in their doubles match at ISU.
On Friday, Texas Tech took on No. 45 Cornhuskers at the Nebraska Tennis Center at 4:30 p.m. Nearly four and a half hours later, Nebraska had escaped with a 4-3 win. The Huskers, after narrowly winning the doubles point, went up 2-0 after Mary Weatherholt stopped Natalie Leitch at No. 2 singles, 6-2, 6-4, to start the match and then were down 3-2 after the Lady Raiders took three straight singles matches.
Freshman Sandra Dynka won her conference match at No. 1 singles over Nebraska's Madeleine Geibert, 6-4, 1-6, 7-5. Elizabeth Ullathorne then defeated Stefanie Weinstein at No. 4 singles, 6-3, 6-3. Caroline Starck followed with her No. 5 singles win over Janine Weinreich, 6-3, 6-1.
Nebraska evened the match at 3-3 with Wiveca Swarting stopping Kelsy Garland at No. 3 singles, 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-2.
At 2-2 in the third set of the final match, the No. 6 singles battle between Lorena Aviles and Jennifer Holmberg was moved indoors due to darkness. Holmberg's three-set victory, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-2, sealed the 4-3 victory for the Huskers.
On Sunday morning, the Lady Raiders earned their first conference road win of the season with a solid 5-2 victory over Iowa State. Texas Tech won two of the three doubles matches for one point and then won singles matches 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Kelsy Garland and Natalie Leitch defeated Erin Karonis and Jenna Langhorst at No. 1 doubles, 8-6. Elizabeth Ullathorne and Sandra Dynka lost their No. 2 doubles match to Maria Macedo and Tessa Long, 8-4. Caroline Starck and Stefanie Peana secured the doubles point for Texas Tech with their 8-6 win over Alyssa Palen and Liza Wischer at No.3 doubles.
After winning her singles match on Friday at Nebraska, freshman Elizabeth Ullathorne put away ISU's Marie Chartier at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 6-0. Kelsy Garland won her No. 3 singles match over Tessa Lang, 6-0, 6-2.
Sophomore Natalie Leitch guaranteed the Lady Raiders victory with her 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) win over Maria Macedo at No. 2 singles.
In the final match of the day, Caroline Starck won her second singles match of the trip and gave the Lady Raiders a 5-2 win over the Cyclones with her victory over Jenna Langhorst at No. 5 singles, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.
Texas Tech hosts Colorado at the McLeod Tennis Center on Friday, April 16 at 4 p.m. On Sunday, April 18, the Lady Raiders conclude their home matches for the season with a 1 p.m. match against Missouri and a non-conference match with St. Edwards at 6 p.m.
Nebraska 4, Texas Tech 3
April 9, 2010
1. Sandra Dynka (TT) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
2. Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Natalie Leitch (TT) 6-2, 6-4
3. Wiveca Swarting (NU) def. Kelsy Garland (TT) 7-6, 4-6, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Janine Weinreich (NU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Lorena Aviles (TT) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
1. Kelsy Garland/Natalie Leitch (TT) def. M. Geibert/S. Weinstein (NU) 8-4
2. W. Swarting/J. Weinreich (NU) def. Sandra Dynka/Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) 8-1
3. J. Holmberg/M. Weatherholt (NU) def. Stefanie Peana/Caroline Starck (TT) 8-7
Texas Tech 5, Iowa State 2
April 11, 2010
1. Erin Karonis (ISU) def. Sandra Dynka (TT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Natalie Leitch (TT) def. Maria F. Macedo (ISU) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Kelsy Garland (TT) def. Tessa Lang (ISU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Marie Chartier (ISU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Caroline Starck (TT) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Liza Wischer (ISU) def. Stefanie Peana (TT) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kelsy Garland/Natalie Leitch (TT) def. Erin Karonis/Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 8-6
2. Maria F. Macedo/Tessa Lang (ISU) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Sandra Dynka (TT) 8-4
3. Caroline Starck/Stefanie Peana (TT) def. Alyssa Palen/Liza Wischer (ISU) 8-6